Chapter 5

SOFIA

We arrived at the exotic island I figured was in Teodoro Bernadi's name at dusk around five after a gruesomely long flight.

I felt heavily jetlagged, exhausted and partly hungry since I'd barely been able to properly eat the food on the plane with Dominic sitting right in front of me and periodically stealing lingering glances at me.

He was hands down a workaholic as he'd been working on his laptop and tablet most of the time and I just sat there, eating, napping, reading magazines and repeating the cycle.

Dark clouds pregnant with rain hung scattered across the sky and I could almost feel raindrops pelting my skin as we were escorted to the modern luxurious villa we'd be staying in.

I'd never felt so small and insignificant, flanked by burly bodyguards in black suits, my own husband towering over me a step ahead as his stride was way bigger than mine no matter how much I tried to keep up.

He was on his phone, a business call I presumed from the conversation going on. Was he ever not working?

We made it to the entrance of the villa, walking down a wide artistically designed passage before proceeding to the main lounge.

Half of the bodyguards stayed by the door while some proceeded in with the luggage. I watched as they went up to the first floor and Dominic plopped onto the couch exhaustedly, carrying on with his phone call.

I wasn't sure who to follow, standing there awkwardly, my eyes glazing slowly from upstairs to Dominic.

I ended up deciding to sit on the couch and wait for him when standing before him felt awkward and uncomfortable.

I sat on a couch across from his, fidgeting with my fingers and looking everywhere else but at him.

The décor of the villa was top-notch and undoubtedly packed with all the facilities to make the stay luxuriously worthwhile.

From where I sat, I could see the infinity pool outside with glimmering turquoise water that reminded me of how exhausted I felt. If only I could dive in there for a swim and soothe my aching muscles.

The scenery was beautiful and the place altogether heavenly, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy. Teodoro owned the place and his actions with me when we met had been hideous and alarming.

What if he had a scheme up his sleeves to frighten me or some diabolical plan to show he was the alpha and my family had stupidly fallen into his trap? What if his plan for revenge was already in motion and my entire family and I were already unconsciously participating in executing it?

An unsettling feeling sunk my heart into the pit of my fuzzy stomach, my eyes landing on Dominic.

What if he was part of executing the revenge and I already felt safe enough around him to have some level of trust in him?

He'd married me, a stranger, after all with barely any benefits on his part. Why had he agreed to it? Had he also been forced to do it or he'd willingly hopped onto the train to aid in bringing the people I loved and I down?

I swallowed hard, fighting to flush all the feelings of security out of my system and try to perceive him as a cold and heartless man, hell-bent on ruining my life, but I just couldn't.

It felt like my heart had already decided the warmth flickering on and off in his seemingly cold eyes was genuine and he wasn't a monster. I dangerously placed all my trust in my instincts.

"Sofia," his deep voice drew me out of my thoughts, making me realise he was looking directly at me with a bit of concern on his face. "I've been calling you for some time. Is everything okay?"