Chapter 43-You & Me

MILES HERNANDEZ
Space.
That's what she need right now, and I was going to give it to her. After everything she's been through, it's the least I could do for her. Let her process it, Lea her to sort it out inside her head. In the meantime, I had to check up on my mother, and my brother who must think all of this was just an amazing dream.

The second he saw her he looked as if he saw a ghost, which was expected, from him. As I walked through the long and empty halls, I get reminded of of how much I hated this place as a kid. Hospitals. Doctors. Needles. Back then I had my mom to hold my hand during doctor visits. After she was gone, I didn't even blink during shots. It was like every emotion in my body had disappeared.

I shake my head as I reach my destination. Jace was sitting inside next to my mom, they were laughing at something my mom said, as I admired from afar. I stayed outside hoping i don't disturb their precious moment. Jace needed this. Even if he didn't show it, he always needed her. Just like I did.

NORA RODRIGUEZ
"He what?" The words left my mouth silently as I scrunched my eyes. I could see my moms eyes tear up, and it broke me. "He's in stable condition, he just won't wake up" she said again with a shaky voice, lowering her eyes.

I didn't exactly know how to process this, at all. He sacrificed his life for me. How would I live with that if it was much worse than a coma? "Oh mom" I said softly as I sat up and hugged her tightly. I could feel her tears wetter my hospital dress, and I nearly cried myself. But I had to be strong for her. "It's ok" I whispered.

As she pulled back, she dried her eyes with the side of her hands. "I just don't know why its affecting me like this. After everything he's done to us it feels wrong to be like this but I just can help it" she says on the verge of crying again.

I smile through pain. "I know mom, but he was in the end your husband at one point of time. You still loved him. Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially it lightens up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurts you. Finally it goes off and everything is darker than ever and all you get is being burned. But that doesn't mean we're left without scars, you know?" I say as she looks up at me and smiles wiping the rest of her face.

"Someones become a professional in this whole love thing" she says teasing me as I smile. "By the way, the doctors say we can take you home tonight, unless you want to spend the night with Miles, which is completely fine by me" she says.

I shake my head. " i wanna go home tonight. Spend some time with you, and play with Lily. God I've missed her so much mom" I say as I reach out and hold her hand. She smiles. "She miss you even more mi amor".
____________________________________
MILES HERNANDEZ
"So she can come home tonight?" I ask holding my moms hand. The doctor nods. "As long as you make sure you stay hydrated Mrs. Hernandez, and take the medicines we've giving you daily, you should be fine. Please feel free to contact us if you feel anything wrong" he says smiling.

"Thank you doctor, I will" she says smiling back and holding my hand tighter. Jace was getting us Coffee from the hospital's cafeteria, and mom was just getting one last check-up before leaving. As the doctor existed the room, I felt my mom looking at me. As I looked back, she smiles. " what is it baby, you look sad" she says tilting her head softly. God how did she always know?

I shrug. "Just tired" I said. She raised her eyebrows at me and I gave up. "Kinda had an argument with Nora" I said as she nodded. "Give her time sweetheart. She needs to process everything that's going on right now. Just like you do" she said as I nodded. A few seconds later, she spoke again. "Have I mentioned how beautiful she is?" She said chuckling as I smile. "Yeah she is. So goddamn much" I whisper.