2: Whispers of a Beast

**Chapter 2: Whispers of a Beast**

The village of Veridia was abuzz with excitement as Shoto Todoroki arrived. Word had spread quickly that the prince was in town, and the villagers, young and old, flocked to catch a glimpse of the royal figure. But amidst the reception, Shoto's heart sought something different. He didn't wish to be seen as just the prince but as Shoto Todoroki, a young man seeking answers.

The history of his father's ascension to the throne was no secret. The tale of the spy who infiltrated the palace, eliminated the king, and claimed the throne after marrying Shoto's mother was one of whispered legends. Although Shoto bore the royal title, he often felt the weight of his father's past casting a shadow over him.

Resolving to stay low-key during his visit, he decided to lodge at a villager's home. He hoped this would give him a sense of normalcy and provide insights into the dragon boy's tales. As the sun dipped beyond the horizon, Shoto was directed to the humble dwelling of an elderly woman named Maeva, known for her hospitality.

That evening, as the village lanterns cast a soft glow, Shoto was informed of a man named Dael, the sole villager who had ventured into the forest and returned after witnessing the fearsome dragon boy.

With apprehension and curiosity, Shoto approached Dael's small cottage. The door creaked open to reveal a weathered face with piercing eyes, the scars of his ordeal evident.

"Dael," Shoto began, "I've come to learn about the dragon boy."

Dael's eyes darted nervously. He hesitated before motioning Shoto inside. With a deep breath, he began recounting his harrowing experience. "The forest," Dael started, "is deceiving. It seems quiet, but the air is thick with an eerie presence."

He paused, taking a sip of water. "I saw him," he whispered. "The dragon boy. He's a beast, Your Highness. Blood dripped from his mouth, and he feasted upon humans." Dael's voice quivered, reflecting the depth of his trauma.

Shoto felt a lump forming in his throat. The grim description intensified his fears. He thanked Dael for sharing his story and left the cottage with heavy steps.

As he lay on a straw mattress in Maeva's home, sleep eluded him. The image of a bloodthirsty beast haunted his thoughts, and the reality of his impending encounter weighed heavily on his mind. What if Dael's account was accurate? What if the beast was as merciless as described?

Dawn broke, casting a golden hue over Veridia. With grim determination, Shoto gathered his belongings. Despite his apprehensions, his sense of duty propelled him forward. As the first rays of the sun warmed the earth, Shoto Todoroki set his feet on the path leading to the villains' forest, ready to face the dragon boy and, perhaps, confront his deepest fears.