3: Shadows and Serenity

**Chapter 3: Shadows and Serenity**

The towering trees of the villains' forest seemed to swallow the morning light, rendering its vast expanse an eerie realm of shadows. Each step Shoto took was muffled by the thick layer of fallen leaves, but the silence was almost oppressive, making every rustle and chirp echo like a clarion call.

Unknown to Shoto, the forest was strewn with traps, remnants of past adventurers or perhaps hunters who once sought the mysterious creatures of this wooded. Not long into his journey, his foot snagged a thin, almost invisible wire. A net, woven from rugged vines, suddenly shot up from the ground, ensnaring him. Suspended above the forest floor, Shoto's heart raced. He drew his dagger, cutting through the vines with precision and caution. As the net loosened, he dropped to the ground, taking a moment to regain his composure.

Pushing onwards, he soon stumbled upon another trap. A pit, cunningly concealed beneath a layer of leaves and twigs. As his foot sank, Shoto's instincts kicked in, and he sprawled to distribute his weight, preventing a complete fall. Gritting his teeth, he carefully maneuvered away, pulling himself out and brushing the dirt from his robes.

Every trap he encountered was a cruel reminder of the forest's treachery. "Perhaps," he mused, "the dragon boy isn't the deadliest peril of this forest. Maybe humans, with their fears and ambitions, have sewn greater dangers here."

Hours seemed to merge, and the forest's dense canopy kept Shoto guessing the time. But as he ventured deeper, the continuous murmur of flowing water reached his ears. Intrigued, he followed the sound until he was greeted by a breathtaking sight: a cascading waterfall, its water shimmering like liquid silver, cutting through the dark expanse of the forest.

Beneath this cascade was an even more enchanting scene. A young boy, no older than Shoto himself, leaned against a large boulder beside the waterfall, deep in meditation. His attire was simple, his hair wild and unruly, and there was an undeniable aura of serenity around him.

Shoto found himself rooted to the spot, captivated by the juxtaposition of the boy's tranquil demeanor against the tales of terror he'd heard. Could this serene figure really be the dreaded dragon boy that Dael spoke of? The boy who feasted on humans and left trails of blood in his wake?

Lost in contemplation, Shoto's gaze remained fixed on the meditating boy, pondering his next move, driven by both caution and an insatiable curiosity.