20: Shadows of Deception

**Chapter 20: Shadows of Deception**

Golden drapes fluttered gently as an icy wind blew into the grand chamber of the palace. Despite the opulence of his surroundings, Shoto felt trapped, ensnared in a web spun by his own father.

"What have you planned for him?" Shoto demanded, struggling to keep the desperation out of his voice.

Endeavor, seated imposingly on his throne, responded coolly, "We had everything set once we realized your intentions of bringing him to the village. I ensured that the villagers acted normally in his presence."

Shoto's heart sank as he connected the dots. "So, that's why no one batted an eye at Katsuki. I've been so naive!"

Before Shoto could say more, Endeavor cut in, revealing his sinister plan. "The food given to the dragon boy at Maeva's has been laced. As we speak, he will be incapacitated, and my soldiers are on their way to prison him."

Desperation gripped Shoto. "But didn't you hear him? He promised he'd never harm humans. Why can't you show some mercy? Some understanding?"

Endeavor's reply was cold and calculated. "It's not merely about him, Shoto. It's about maintaining peace. The village lives in constant fear, haunted by tales of the dragon. And even if he has never harmed a soul, we must put the village's fears to rest."

Shoto's voice was trembling with rage, "So, torturing an innocent creature to death is your solution? Is this the legacy of our great kingdom?"

Endeavor's eyes glinted with malice. "He'll endure the pain, a warning to any other creatures who dare cross our path."

Shoto's heart raced, recalling Bakugou's words about the true nature of humans. Clenching the pendant Bakugou had given him so tightly that its edges dug into his palm, Shoto made a silent vow. He would defy his own blood to protect the one who had shown him genuine kindness. With renewed determination, he declared, "I won't let you harm him," and stormed out of the palace, every fiber of his being focused on saving Bakugou from the clutches of his family's treachery.