22: A price to pay

**Chapter 22: A Price to Pay**

Shoto's steps echoed in the cavernous chamber, his surroundings obscured in a shroud of darkness. An ethereal voice wafted towards him, suffused with a sense of both age and power. "It's been a long time since a human has ventured into my domain," it murmured, almost contemplatively.

Straining his eyes, Shoto searched for the source, but to no avail. "Where are you?" he demanded, his voice betraying a hint of urgency.

The reply was almost teasing. "You don't need to see me to speak your heart, Todoroki Shoto."

Shoto's brow furrowed in surprise. "You know me?"

"Of course," the voice was smug now. "I know all. The son of King Endeavor. Lover to Bakugou Katsuki, the boy who transforms into a dragon."

Taking a deep breath, Shoto voiced out his concerns, "You know why I'm here, then."

There was a pause, before the demon replied, "Indeed. But articulate your desire. It's part of the ritual."

Shoto hesitated, "I wish to free Bakugou from the villagers and soldiers."

"That's quite simple," the demon's voice was breezy. "A little of your blood in exchange should suffice. Quite painless, really."

But as Shoto opened his mouth to agree, memories of Bakugou's words rushed into his mind. "But I always tried to guide them, to steer them away from peril. Yet, they perceived me as the real danger. After my grandfather's demise, the loneliness became insufferable."

Changing his mind quickly, Shoto said, "No. I want to erase everyone's memories. Those who remember Bakugou Katsuki as the dragon boy, or have seen his dragon form. They should forget."

There was a drawn-out silence. "That...is a larger ask," the voice replied cautiously. "But not impossible. Still, the cost will be greater."

Shoto's heart raced. "What would it be?"

"Time," the voice whispered. "I will take forty years from your life.  You won't age, but you'll live forty years less than you're destined to."

The reality of the sacrifice hit Shoto hard. Forty years was almost half a lifetime. Yet, it was for Bakugou's peace and their shared happiness.

Closing his eyes and summoning all his courage, Shoto whispered, "Deal."