❥﹒第 15 章

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Thoughts swirled like a maelstrom in Haru's mind, the oppressive silence in the antiquated elevator closing in around her, squeezing the air from her lungs. Worry gripped her heart, and she couldn't help but dwell on Riki's fate, her anxiety a relentless undercurrent beneath her outward composure. She clung to the belief in his indomitable strength, a mantra to keep her fears at bay.

But a nagging sensation, like a whisper of doubt, gnawed at her subconscious.

As the elevator shuddered to a halt, its rusty doors creaking open to reveal the outside world, Haru briskly stepped out with a leaden footfall. Sunoo and Kuroi followed hesitantly, their uncertainty palpable. However, Kuroi halted in her tracks, her gaze fixed on the floor, her thoughts a heavy burden she couldn't escape.

Kuroi's voice trembled as she spoke, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Sunoo, this is as far as I go."

Her words hung heavy in the air, and for a moment, silence reigned. Haru and Sunoo turned to her, their expressions a mix of sorrow and understanding. Kuroi had been more than just a maid; she had become a dear friend, a sister to Sunoo.

As the young maid tried to find the right words to express her feelings, her emotions overwhelmed her, blurring her vision.

Without warning, Sunoo rushed forward, wrapping his arms tightly around Kuroi. His sobs echoed through the corridor as he buried his face in her neck, his love and gratitude pouring out in his tears. "Kuroi, I love you!" he choked out between sobs. "I always have, and I always will."

Kuroi held him close, her own tears mingling with his. She stroked his hair gently, her voice a soft whisper. "Me, too. I love you too."

As they wept together, Haru observed the poignant scene with a heavy heart. It wasn't just the sorrowful farewell between Sunoo and Kuroi that weighed on her, but also the memory of her own parting with Riki, her closest friend and partner.

Doubts nagged at her thoughts, but she tried to quell them, reassuring herself that Riki would emerge from the ordeal unscathed. That he was alright.

She knew she was worrying excessively, but she couldn't bear the thought of losing him just yet.

Sunoo and Haru walked through the tunnel-like corridor, maintaining a safe distance between them. The sound of their echoing footsteps reverberated in the dimly lit passageway as they followed it toward an obscure source of light. As they reached their destination, Haru came to a stop and patiently waited for the vessel to catch up.

"So, this is..." Sunoo began, his eyes carefully scanning every detail of the place, a peculiar atmosphere hanging in the air.

Haru nodded solemnly. "Yes, we're in Taehyun-sama's territory now."

Before them stretched what looked like an underground city. Small houses encircled the central area, resembling the base of a massive tree trunk with invisible branches. Beyond the cluster of houses lay several tunnel entrances, identical to the one they had just exited.

Haru continued her explanation as Sunoo observed the surroundings in silence. "This is the foundation of the nation's key barriers. The Main Hall of the Tombs of the Star."

"Once you descend the stairs, pass through the gate, and make your way to the base of the big tree," she pointed toward the central structure, "you'll be inside a special barrier, separate from the one surrounding Jujutsu High."

"Only those who receive an invitation can enter it. Taehyun-sama will protect you until the assimilation," Haru added. Then, she presented an unexpected alternative. "Or we can turn back around and go home with Kuroi."

Sunoo's expression shifted from confusion to curiosity. "Huh?"

Haru elaborated, sharing insights about their teacher and their mission. "When our teacher told us about this mission, he referred to the assimilation as 'erasing.' He was trying to convey the gravity of the sin it entails. Our teacher may be a muscle-brain, but he often employs roundabout methods."

She turned her gaze to meet Sunoo's, offering a reassuring smile. "Nishimura and I had already discussed this before we met you. We are the strongest. Regardless of the decision you make, we will ensure your future."

Tears welled up in Sunoo's eyes, though he tried to conceal them by looking down. "I've always been considered special since the day I was born," he began, his voice trembling. "Everyone kept telling me I was different. Being special became my normal, and I've lived my life avoiding danger as much as possible, all for the sake of this day."

"I don't really remember the day my mother and father died, but I no longer feel sad or lonely about that. I figured everything would be fine, even if I was taken away from everyone and assimilated. That no matter how hard it was, it would stop feeling sad and lonely one day."

"But honestly... I want to be with everyone longer!" Sunoo's emotions finally overwhelmed him, and tears began streaming down his face. "I want to go to all kinds of places with everyone! I want to see all kinds of things and do more!"

Haru's lips curved into a heartfelt smile, and she extended her hand towards him. Her voice was gentle and reassuring. "Let's go home, Sunoo."

Sunoo couldn't hold back the tears any longer, his emotions flowing freely. He wiped away his tears and tried to regain his composure. With a bright and hopeful smile, he reached out to take Haru's hand.

Their hands were mere inches from touching when a deafening explosion echoed through the area. Sunoo's eyes, which had moments ago been filled with life and hope, suddenly turned dull, and his entire body collapsed to the ground with a heavy thud.

"Sunoo?"