❥﹒第 22 章

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

A chair crashed into the metal door, its thunderous impact resonating throughout the room. With a heavy sigh, Danielle Marsh slumped into the chair, her arm coming up to shield her eyes from the grim reality before her.

"It was supposed to be an easy mission to exterminate a second-grade cursed spirit!" she vented, struggling to maintain composure. "Damn it!"

Haru's own weary eyes, swollen and marred by heavy bags, briefly shut in an attempt to escape the haunting scene. Her heart grew heavy, and her faith in the jujutsu world began to wither away. Still, she fought to maintain her composure.

"Rest now, Danielle," Haru urged, trying to offer some solace. "Nishimura has taken on your mission."

Danielle's dark eyes reopened, casting a final glance at the lifeless body of a girl whose eyes once gleamed like a cat's, whose smile had been a welcoming beacon. Haru draped a sheet over Haerin's body, concealing her from the world. Her trembling hand crumpled the fabric as her body shook with emotion.

In response to Haru's words, Danielle let out a bitter chuckle. "Can't we just leave everything up to him alone at this point?" The exhaustion and despair weighed heavily on their shoulders, pushing them to the brink of hopelessness.

Haru fell into a heavy silence, her thoughts spinning and churning. She refrained from making any comments, sensing the simmering emotions threatening to consume her. The notion of the jujutsu sorcerer's existence being akin to a relentless marathon of disasters and heartbreak weighed heavily on her mind.

As her mind dwelled on the countless missions and the losses they had endured, a bleak question loomed in her thoughts: Was it truly worth it if the only reward at the end was a towering pile of their comrades' lifeless bodies?

Recollections of her recent conversations with Soyeon flashed before her eyes, like a beacon in the darkness. Haru's chest tightened, and she expelled a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

In this solemn moment, she made her choice, selecting a path from the tangled web of uncertainty and despair that had gripped her for so long.

She would be doing this for her.

She would be doing this for him.

... 112 residents of the village were killed, after which a fire...

...Investigations confirmed that all 112 were killed by a cursed spirit, which the residuals revealed to be the work of Yang Haru's curse manipulation....