29 | Jade

So now I have to give a goddamn present to Christian. Wasn't my life already doomed enough that Aurora has to make it even worse for me today?

First, the intimacy we shared with each other at the apartment led to so much awkward tension.

Second, the way Aurora reacted to all of that and the way I behaved being so immature.

And now, she wants me to give this present to the one person I don't want to look in the eye.

What sins am I paying for?

Now I was standing behind Christian, still some feet away, and he didn't know my presence behind him. I was contemplating whether I should really do it or just take it with me at home and keep it in the living room, where he can find it and will never know who gave it to him.

Well, the latter option seems much better.

"Hey Jade!"

I was about to turn around and leave when my annoying best friend called out my name so loudly that even the people outside this club would have listened to it. Cursing under my breath, I glanced at Christian, who was now looking back at me with a confused expression on his face.

"I was looking for—wow!" Nick reaches me but halts when he sees the purple gift-wrapped box in my hand. "You brought this for Christian?" He gasped.

"No, I-"

"Hey Christian!" Nick waved his hand towards my brother, and my jaw clenched. "Jade here brought a present for you!" He shouted.

I glanced back at Christian, and his eyes became so wide that they almost looked like they were popping out of his head. Excusing himself from the guests, he made his way towards me, and I glared at Nick, who was smirking. If I could have one chance of murdering someone who would be forgivable, I would murder my best friend.

"Yeah?" Christian's voice was nervous when he reached me. His eyes wavered when he looked at me and then at Nick.

"There, he has a present for you." Nick pointed at the box in my hand. "And I am going to give you guys some brotherly-bonding privacy." He nodded and walked away.

I cleared my throat. "Happy birthday." Bringing the box in front, I kept looking at it when I wished him, my voice strained.

When he didn't take it, I looked at him and found him staring at me with a raised eyebrow. I rolled my eyes.

"You brought me a present?" He asked.

"Aurora brought you a present." I clarified. "She just insisted I give you this personally."

He smiled and took the box from my hand. "But you still came; regardless of how stubborn you are, you are still here to give me this."

"Don't get ahead of yourself." I scoffed. "If it wasn't for her, I would have never come here in the first place."

He hummed in a mocking way. "Well, then I guess she must be really special for you." He teased.

I looked away. "Whatever."

He laughed slowly when I started to walk away from there. This was the longest conversation I had with Christian since our past. I know he must be very happy right now, but I was not. I wanted to get away from this and go home as soon as possible. But I had promised Aurora that I wouldn't leave her alone no matter what, and that is why I was staying here.

My steps slowly halted as I thought about her. I roamed my eyes around in search of her, but my eyes couldn't find her anywhere. Last time I checked, she was near the bar with Ivy, but now that I am looking in that direction, there is no one, not Ivy, not Aurora. Grabbing my phone from my pocket, I dialled Aurora's number, and it went straight to voice mail.