47 | Jade

My mind has been hazy with extreme happiness, as well as worry and stress.

When Aurora came into my life, I knew this would be a changing point in my life—something that would turn my whole world upside down.

I am at a loss for words when I describe how I felt when I met her for the first time. It was like when you saw someone, your instincts—which you had thought were dead—screamed at you, telling you that this person was going to change everything—including yourself.

Before meeting her, I always thought that these kinds of thoughts were only existential in books or movies—the feeling of instant connection, the first spark of light that would later turn into a flame of something big. Even if you tried to blow it away, it wouldn't just go away; all these things were like a fantasy to me.

When Aurora came into my life, I knew that these thoughts that I assumed to be a fantasy would turn into my reality, even if I tried to push her away.

My past with Kiara had never been this way. Yes, I was attracted to her. I liked her, but I think what I called love back then was just my idea of what love was.

But when I almost heard Aurora say those words to me this morning, I knew what love actually was.

Had I been too selfish for not letting her say what she wanted?

Maybe.

But I wasn't wrong. I did want that moment to be special for us, when we could express our feelings to each other without worrying about the people or situations around us.

As much as I understood 'love' after Aurora, I believed that it's a naked emotion, something you cannot hide your true feelings from the person you are confessing them to, and free of all barriers of this world.

"What a beautiful sight." Adrian's voice from the front seat echoes in the car.

"Hmm?" I said, looking at him through the rear-view mirror.

"Jade Grogan is smiling like an idiot while staring into blank air." He snorts. "What a view."

I immediately turned my face blank. I had no idea I had been smiling all this while thinking about Aurora.

And now my brother has something to tease me.

Fuck my life.

"Shut your ass mouth up." I rolled my eyes before looking outside the window of the car. "I wasn't smiling."

"At least learn how to lie better, baby brother." He snorts again. "Your face is all pink, by the way."

I swear to God if he wasn't my brother...

I don't blame him, though. Since the moment I stepped inside the car with Adrian while the driver drove to our company and Adrian checked on documents related to the meeting we were supposed to attend, I couldn't help but think about this morning with Aurora.

But I won't give Adrian the satisfaction of knowing that he was right.

"How much will it take us to reach?" I asked, ignoring the teasing grin on his face.

"Fifteen minutes more." He replied.

"Fifteen minutes of hell with you more." I scoffed.

The sudden ringing of my phone breaks my attention from Adrian. I pick up the device from the seat beside me and look at the screen, only to find an unknown number flashing on the caller screen.

My brows furrowed, and after exactly three rings, I picked up the call.

"Hello?"

I stilled for a second. I knew this voice.