38 | Aurora

For me, accepting Jade's invitation to a date felt like going on an emotional roller coaster. I felt equally happy, afraid, nervous, and excited.

Maybe that's what happens when you finally agree to a date after all these years.

Jade and I have been through so many rough patches together. Our hatred for each other when we first met, the misunderstandings that followed after that, and then the tension that brewed and morphed into a fire whenever we were around each other.

Most importantly, we confided in one another about everything, including our pasts and our feelings of connection.

And so, I started looking for something beautiful and proper to wear to my date with Jade tonight. But all I possessed was one dress, which I'd worn for Christian's birthday, few pairs of jeans, formal skirts and shoes with my pants, shorts, and a few loose t-shirts.

It's not that I didn't want to go and shop for a nice outfit, but thoughts about Jade's background and Christian's answer to my queries were causing too much chaos in my head. I was unable to ignore the worry that was fueling my concerns for Jade, his brother, and their strained relationship.

I was in Jade's room when I woke up in the morning, but he wasn't there. I just noticed a letter on the nightstand stating that he needed to complete some work for the company connected to a project he was working on while he worked there. He said he would come get me for dinner at eight.

"Aurora, dear?" I stopped looking for clothes when there was a knock on the door and then I heard Dorothy's voice. I walk over to the door and pull it open.

"Hi, Dorothy. Did you need something?" I ask politely after opening the door.

"Oh no, sweetie. All I wanted to do was give this to you." She gives me a small shopping bag. "It just arrived with your name."

My eyebrows furrow. "For me?" She nods and smiles. "But I didn't buy or order anything." I told her.

"But it has your name; I think you should check." She said, and I took the bag from her hands before thanking her and closing the door.

I slowly move to the bed, taking a quick look inside the shopping bag. I removed the black silk material from the bag entirely after catching it in my palms.

It was the same black dress whose zipper had stuck on my hair that day in the trial room.

There was also a note with that dress.

My eyes narrowed to the dress and then to the yellow-coloured paper. Putting the dress aside, I slowly open the note in my hand.

Ocean,

I am sorry I couldn't see you the whole day. But I'll always come back to you.

You have no idea how much I have wanted to see you in this dress since that day from the shopping complex, because that day you officially made me crazy for you.

I hope you'd like it, and I hope you'll honour my eyes by wearing this for me.

Yours Jerk.

After reading this tiny message through to the end, I was beaming like a kid who had just received a ton of candy for Halloween.

My phone pings, and when Jade's name appears on the notification, my smile widens even more.

Jade: Don't keep me waiting ;)

The unexpected giddiness inside of me caused my heart to race, forcing me to bite my lip and smile.