I Like You

"Acceleration equals final velocity minus initial velocity, all divided by time." I repeated mentally. Although I could be considered a nerd in many ways (and to much honor, just for the record), the truth was that I was an impossible case for physics. Of which, as luck would have it, I had an exam in less than a week.

So there I was, sitting at the bus stop on my street waiting for the bus to pass and take me to my friend Gabby's house, the only person who, hopefully, could make me pass physics. I was so focused on learning the formulas and memorizing all the theory in the book that I didn't feel someone behind me until I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned around, a little startled, only to smile like a fool when I saw who it was. "Hi, Kevin..." I said, feeling my heart pounding.

"Hi, Valerie." Kevin replied, flashing that boyish grin that drove me crazy.

Kevin and I had been neighbors since we moved to this town. The first time I saw him was when I got out of the car, and he was playing football in the front yard with his brothers. I was only seven years old, but when I made eye contact with that seven-year-old boy, my life changed. But it would have been nothing more than a fleeting crush had it not been for two reasons; first, it turned out that our parents became friends, and second, we went to the same class. 

"What's up? What are you doing?" he asked me, sitting down next to me at the bus stop.

"I'm waiting for the bus. I'm going to go to Gabby's, see if she's able to make me understand the fucking physics." I said, for some reason, putting emphasis on the word " fucking".

He laughed softly "I get you. Physics is a real pain in the ass."

I nodded "Yeah... Well, how about you? Did you have practice today?" I knew for a fact that he was passionate about football, and that he played on the high school team. And, of course, he was one of the most popular kids. Unlike me, who had only two friends or so. That's why I always found it strange that Kevin wanted to talk to me, but I came to understand that he wasn't your typical popular jerk from the movies. He talked to whoever he liked, and apparently I did.

"Yeah, today the coach put us on physical today. Tomorrow I'll have tremendous stiffness that I won't even be able to walk." He snorted. He looked at me suddenly. "Hey, have you heard about the party Thomas Ridley is having at his house tomorrow night?"

I stopped to think for a moment. Oh, Thomas Ridley. The kid whose biggest hobby in life was chasing freshmen around the high school and defacing teachers' cars. He was the biggest idiot I'd ever met, but he had a reputation for throwing the best parties "Yeah, I heard something, why?"

"Well, everyone's coming, and I was wondering if you were, too." He looked at me with that pair of green eyes that made my breath catch.