Dance with somebody

"I've told you a thousand times: I HAVE WORK TO FINISH." I snorted as I rolled my eyes for the tenth time (or maybe more).

"Come on, Julia, don't be like that." My friend Rachel replied on the other end of the phone. "You spend your life working. It's okay for you to stop for ONE night out with me."

"Don't be melodramatic. It's not like you're going to be alone." I nibbled on the cap of the pen I held in my hand. "In fact, if I go I'd be the third wheel."

"No, because it wasn't going to be just the two of us anyway...he's going with a few friends of his. That's why I want you to come; so I won't be alone among a bunch of guys."

I arched an eyebrow. "And why is that? Wasn't it supposed to be a date?"

This time it was she who sighed. "Actually, no. We're just supposed to hang out as friends, sadly."

A few months ago, Rachel had gotten a job as a dancer on a tour of a famous boyband. As fate would have it, she ended up falling in love with one of them. But try as she might, she couldn't get this Brian guy to notice her, at least not in the way she wanted him to. I looked down at my computer and my notebook. The article I was writing was due the following Sunday. I had plenty of time. I sighed heavily. "Oh, well, okay. But you owe me a big fat favor, okay?"

Rachel let out a little squeak of exclamation. I couldn't help but smile. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever you want. I'll pick you up at your house at ten. See ya!"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It was five past ten when Rachel's car pulled up in front of my house. After she honked her horn several times, I got out of my house and got into the car.

"Wow, you look so pretty. I don't think I've ever seen you so dressed up in my life." Rachel observed as I entered the car. I was wearing a short red strapless dress and red high heels. "And I've known you since we were like, I don't know, six years old?"

"Ha ha ha ha... Thank you very much, my dear." I replied sarcastically before she started the car.

Almost half an hour later, we were walking through the door of what looked like a club. Rachel waved to someone in the distance and took my hand, leading me to the bar. There was a dark blond guy (who must have been Brian, judging by Rachel's numerous descriptions), another slightly taller blond guy, and a dark-haired guy. As soon as they saw us approaching the three guys smiled and rushed over to greet Rachel with a hug. They seemed nice.