Leaving

I was lying on my back in bed, listening to music, when suddenly I heard my mother's voice calling me from downstairs.

"Honey, come here! The letter from Yale has arrived!" she shouted.

I got out of bed, feeling my body heavier than usual. I went downstairs and headed for the kitchen. My father was sitting in one of the chairs and my mother was leaning against the counter, the sealed envelope in her hand. They both smiled as they saw me enter. "Here honey." My mother held out the envelope to me. "Open it."

"Sweetie." I turned my head to look at my father, who was looking at me as he smiled softly. "Just remember that no matter what it says in the letter, we're very proud of you." My mother nodded slowly as she walked over to my father, standing behind him and resting her hands on the back of the chair.

I smiled before fixing my eyes on the envelope. With trembling fingers, I opened the envelope and pulled out the paper it contained. I closed my eyes for a moment before beginning to read. Seconds later, I looked up at my parents, who were holding their breath. "I've been admitted. I've gotten into Yale."

I was startled when my father jumped up from his chair, causing it to fall to the floor. My mother gave a shout of joy as she hugged my father. Before I knew it, they had both jumped at me, enveloping me in a big hug.

"This is great!" My father exclaimed, rubbing my back and putting his forehead against mine. "Our little girl, in Yale..."

"'Course she is. We always knew you'd make it." My mother stroked my cheek tenderly. "I have to call everyone, this is something to celebrate! What do you want me to make you tonight for dinner?"

I blinked a couple of times. "Uh, I don't know mom. But it's almost five, and I'm late for work, so..."

They both frowned. "Honey, are you okay? Aren't you excited?" My dad asked.

"Yes. Of course I am. It's just..." I looked at the clock on the wall. "I'm really late. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

My parents looked at each other, quizzical, but nodded. I quickly went up to my room to change clothes.

Half an hour later I was in the café, whipping up some milkshakes. I had started working there a couple of years ago, and it wasn't bad at all. Besides, it was nice to earn my own money. I was totally immersed in my thoughts when I suddenly felt a pair of hands on my shoulders, causing me to startle and spill almost half of the strawberry milkshake. I didn't need to turn around to find out who it was. " Holy shit Brian!"