Babysitting

"Do you remember everything?" My older sister asked me as she put on her coat.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes: no more than an hour of TV, no eating sweets after five...and he has to take a bath before going to bed, even if he doesn't want to. Don't worry sis, I've got it under control." I said with a smile, trying to reassure her.

She sighed. "Yeah, right. Honey!" she shouted. "I'll see you later! Be good, okay?"

"Okay, love you!" I heard the voice of my nephew Jamie, who was in the living room.

She walked to the door, turning one last time to look at me. "Are you sure you guys have it under control?"

"Yeah, it's okay. And if anything happens, I've got your number, so don't worry."

Finally, my sister walked out the front door. Then I heard Jamie laugh, and I walked toward the living room smiling. When I walked in, I started laughing when I saw that Jamie and Howie, my boyfriend, were on the floor, doing something like fighting.

Howie and I had planned to go to the movies that day, but a couple of hours before we were to leave my sister had called me to ask me to babysit her son. Not only had Howie not been upset that we had to postpone the date, he had agreed to help me watch Jamie, which I appreciated. He's much better with kids than I am.

"Ha! I beat you again!" Jamie exclaimed as he got Howie's back to touch the ground.

"You sure did, kiddo." Replied Howie ruffling Jamie's hair before he got up off the ground and walked over to me, wrapping his arm around my waist.

I looked up at him with a smile before lightly kissing his lips. He placed his hand on my cheek and deepened the kiss.

"Uuuughhhh!!! Gross!!!" Our kiss was interrupted by Jamie's complaints. We broke apart as we laughed at the little guy's reaction.

"Well Jamie, what do you feel like doing?" I asked as I knelt down to be at his height. "Do you want to watch a movie, play something...?"

"I want to go to the park. Can we go to the park?" Jamie asked. My sister actually told me not to take him out of the house, since she said it was cold outside and he could get sick. But anyone can resist that little guy's puppy eyes.

So half an hour later, Howie and I were sitting on a park bench watching Jamie run around. Suddenly, I don't quite know how it happened, Jamie tripped over something and fell flat onto his face. Howie and I jumped up and ran to him. Howie arrived a few seconds before I did, and carefully lifted Jamie off the ground. I arrived shortly after and fell to my knees in front of him.

 "Oh God, did you hurt yourself?"

Jamie nodded slightly. His face was a little flushed and his eyes were bright, but he didn't look like he had been seriously hurt. After the little incident, we decided it would be best to go home. But first, and again disobeying my sister's orders, we decided to buy Jamie a chocolate ice cream as compensation for the fall. Howie and I also bought one for us to share: banana with salted caramel. Maybe it sounds gross, but I can assure you it's not bad.

Once we finished our ice cream, we set off for home. Jamie was in between Howie and I, holding hands with each of us. He kept looking at both of us, first one and then the other.

"What are you looking at so much, buddy?" Howie amusedly asked.

"You guys are good at being parents. When are you guys going to have a baby?" Jamie said, very serious.

Howie and I looked at each other for a second before bursting out laughing. "Well, we don't know yet." I replied. "But who knows, maybe soon..."

"Well let's see if it's true....I would like to have a cousin to play with." We reached the street, and Jamie recognized his house in the distance. He looked at us smiling. "Let's do a race, last one to arrive is silly!" And suddenly, he broke into a run.

I laughed softly. Then Howie slowly approached me. "So 'maybe soon', huh?"

"Yeah, who knows." I replied, smiling as I saw his expression change completely.

"Wait, you're pregnant?" He exclaimed.

I laughed. "No, I'm not. But I'm just saying that maybe, someday, sooner or later, it would be nice to...you know."

He smiled. "Yes I do. And I agree." He put his forehead against mine. "Someday."

"I'm going to beat you guys!" Jamie shouted in the distance.

"We should run, right?" Howie asked.

"Yeah, we should."