Bitch

As hard as I try, I am not able to pay attention to what the professor is saying. I look at the blackboard, but nothing that is written there makes sense, maybe because I don't even know what lesson we are studying. Yes, I'm in college by choice, but there are times when it's really hard for me. I look at my watch and snort when I see that there is still half an hour left to go. I start tapping my foot on the table. It's something I do when I'm nervous or impatient.

Just then, a girl turns to look at me with an angry expression. She watches me for a few seconds with disgust before whispering. "Do you mind stopping? Some of us are trying to learn here..."

I lean forward and arch an eyebrow. "Are you going to force me? Why don't you turn around again, pretty girl, lest you miss something important?" I hiss as I start tapping harder on the table, making more noise.

She snorts. Just then the guy sitting next to her turns around. "You don't have to be so mean. It's just a matter of politeness, you know, don't you have any of that?"

"Why don't you mind your own business? Your girlfriend can defend herself, macho man. She doesn't need you to protect her. Or maybe she does?"

They both look at me with a huge disgusted look on their faces before turning around. I hear the guy mumble something. I think he said "Bitch," but I'm not entirely sure. That puts me in a bad mood. I stop tapping my foot on the table and cross my arms on the table, resting my head on them.

When the doorbell finally rings, I quickly gather my things and get up from my seat. As I head for the exit I see the happy couple from earlier, this time surrounded by a few friends. As soon as they see me, the girl makes the same disgusted face again and says something. I don't know what she said because I'm a considerable distance away from them, but I could have sworn she said "Bitch". This time she did. Their friends turn to look at me and they all look at me with contempt. Once again I feel attacked and, before leaving the classroom, I show them my middle finger. I hear exclamations and insults that are silenced when I slam the door on my way out.

A couple of hours go by, and it's already afternoon. My bad mood hasn't gone away. Sometimes I think I live surrounded by idiots, I tell myself as I brush my hair. Suddenly my apartment doorbell rings and I smile. I walk out of my room and quickly go to open the door. My smile widens a little when I see my boyfriend Howie standing in the doorway, holding a rose between his fingers.

"Hi." I say softly, resting my hand on his cheek and giving him a peck. "This is for me?"

"Sure. Here." He says holding out the flower to me. Once again I remember how much I love his voice. It's soft, melodic and nice.

I don't hesitate to take it and bring it up to my nose to smell it. "You don't need to get me something every time you come to see me, you know?"

"I know, but I like to do it anyway." He says as he gives me a kiss on the cheek and wraps his arm around my waist. "What do you feel like doing?"

"We can watch a movie. I have a box full of VHS's upstairs, I'll go get it. I think there's a bag of popcorn in the cupboard, if you want..."

"Laura, are you okay?" he asks suddenly, gently rubbing my waist.

I look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know...you seem tense. Did something happen at college today?"

I blink a couple of times, remembering what happened hours before. "Oh, well, I had a little fight with a couple of people in my class, but nothing big." I swallow. "Howie, you think I'm a bitch?"

He arches his eyebrows, surprised. "Of course I don't. Why would I believe that? Someone called you that today in class?"

I sigh. "I don't know, I didn't hear it clearly. But if they did, it wouldn't be the first time either, you know?" I sigh again, running my hands through my hair. "I try hard to be nice. I really try. But it's not easy for me. I don't know why. And sometimes I say or do things that make me look like, you know, a bitch."

He sighs as he strokes my cheek with his thumb. "Well, maybe it's true that you have a bit of a strong personality. But you're not a bitch. You really aren't." He smiled tenderly. "You certainly don't seem like one to me."

I smile softly before kissing his lips. Seconds later I wrap him in my arms, hugging him tightly. His hands rub my back and his lips kiss my hair. I hide my head in the crook of his neck and mumble a "Thank you."