I'll Be There

Part 2 of "Help You"

Three months had passed since that night, and Alex's situation had not been getting better by any means. He seemed more and more bent on self-destructing himself, which in turn increased the concern of the people around him, including me.

We had all tried to help him in one way or another, but it was impossible. He would either deny that anything was wrong, or he would become defensive. In fact, a week earlier, Alex had almost come to blows with Kevin, after he tried, once again, to step in to intervene in the situation. Luckily, nothing happened, because if things had gotten ugly, Kevin would have beaten the crap out of him, which would have made everything worse. Of the guys, Kevin was the most worried about Alex. And I would venture to say that right after him, was me. Seeing him like this was really affecting me psychologically and emotionally. Because no matter how much I spent my free time and sleepless nights thinking about what I could do to help him, nothing seemed to work.

That night, they called me to tell me that they were going out to party at some club. I decided to go, and half an hour later I regretted it. Alex had joined his "friends" again, but they were not alone. There was a blonde girl sitting on Alex's lap. She looked like a curvy Barbie. It didn't take me long to realize that that girl wasn't the same one I had seen him with the night before, and when I saw them pass cigarette smoke from mouth to mouth before kissing passionately, I felt my heart break a little more. I got up from the stool I was sitting on and went outside hoping the night breeze would clear my mind.

Fifteen minutes after I stepped outside, I saw a shadow approaching me. I was startled at first, but let my guard down when I saw that it was Kevin. He approached me taking large strides.

 "Have you seen Alex?" his voice denoted concern.

"I saw him a while ago. He was drinking and smoking, as usual. Has something happened?"

"Yes, I was keeping an eye on him too, but I suddenly lost sight of him. And I don't know where he could have gotten to." He snorted running his hand through his hair. " Damnit."

I rested my hand on his shoulder and tried my best to smile despite the worry that was beginning to rise in me. "Don't worry, he can't have gone far. I'm going to walk around and see if I can spot him."

I walked into the club followed by Kevin, and then we each went in a different direction. I was trying to make my way to the dance floor when someone called out to me.

"Hey, you." I turned, and there she was. The girl I had seen Alex with earlier. "Are you a friend of AJ's?"

I blinked a couple of times "Yeah."