Every Breath You Take

"Babe, the movie's about to start, hurry up!" I called out from the couch.

" I'm on my way!" Seconds later I saw Kevin walk into the living room with a huge bowl of popcorn in his hands.

I smiled as he sat down next to me, putting his arm around me and setting the popcorn between us. I snuggled into his chest and pulled a blanket over us.

"Are they sweet or salty?" I asked as I grabbed a popcorn.

"I didn't manage to remember which ones you liked better, so I mixed them up." He replied.

"That's a good idea, actually. Oh, look. The movie's starting." I picked up the TV remote and turned up the volume. That evening Top Gun, one of our favorite movies, was on.

About an hour into the movie and we had already eaten half the popcorn, my phone started ringing. I decided not to pick it up, as I was too comfortable cuddling with Kevin to get up to get the phone. But it kept ringing for several minutes without stopping.

" Babe, you should pick it up. Maybe it's important." Kevin said.

"It better be." I growled as I got up from the couch. "I swear, if it's my boss, he's going to fucking hear me."

He laughed before fixing his eyes back on the movie. I grabbed my phone and walked out into the hallway. I picked up the phone.

"Yes? Who is it?"

"Eliza, it's me, Mom." Sure enough, it was my mother's voice I heard. The muffled tone of her voice made me worry.

"Mom? Are you the one who's been phoning me the whole time? Is everything okay?" she sighed and was silent for a few seconds. "Mom, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

"It's Diane. They disconnected her a couple of hours ago. She went brain dead this morning."

"What?" was all I was able to say. Diane, my older sister, had been in a car accident along with a couple of friends about a year ago. She had been the only survivor, but had fallen into a deep coma. As much as the doctors had repeated that it was highly unlikely that she would make it and that it was best to let her go, my parents decided to hold on to hope and keep her connected to a bunch of machines that kept her alive. Until that moment. "And you're telling me now?"

"I know I should have called you sooner, or even waited until you were here, but the doctor recommended to do it as soon as possible." Again, silence. "I'm sorry, honey."