Brat

I entered the house, being greeted with the sound of music blaring and a faint smell of alcohol and sweat. I looked around for my friend, but it was so crowded that it was impossible to find her until she found me first.

"Hey, Kayla! I'm here!" I turned and smiled as I saw my friend Hannah a few feet away, waving her hand for me to locate her.

I rushed over to her and hugged her tightly. When we parted she looked at me somewhat surprised. "Where's Chris?"

"Oh, he told me he had some things to finish up from work, but I guess he won't be long." I certainly didn't feel like talking about my boyfriend at that moment, so I looked around before changing the subject. "Wow, it's crowded in here."

"Yeah, the guys said they had organized a 'little' party. Apparently they have a different concept of what little means than we do."

" I guess so. I don't think I've seen anyone I know yet." I replied as I took the shot Hannah held out to me.

"'Oh, you haven't? Well, I can see your favorite person in the world from here, look." I turned to where she was pointing me. Almost across the room, stood that tall, blond, blue-eyed guy. Nicholas. I snorted and rolled my eyes, making Hannah giggle. " My god, what a face you've made. Can you tell me why you hate him so much?"

"Well, I don't know... maybe because he's a dumb, immature brat who only knows how to be a jerk." Hannah blinked a couple of times, surprised by the aggressiveness of my words. "Come on, don't look at me like that. You know he's not a fan of mine either. He thinks I'm a mythical bitch."

I looked at him again and there he was, with a drink in his hand, and a girl sitting on his lap, kissing his neck. I rolled my eyes again before resuming my conversation with Hannah.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I consulted my watch for the third time all night. It was eleven-thirty, and I had no word from Chris. There came a moment when I became impatient and, after excusing myself to Hannah for a moment, I stepped out into the rather quieter foyer of the house for a moment and pulled my phone out of my jumpsuit pocket. I dialed Chris's number.

Only a few seconds later, he picked up the phone. "Yes?" His voice sounded tired, irritated.

"Where are you, may I ask? The party started a while ago, and I'm waiting for you!" I exclaimed in an impatient tone.

I heard him snort loudly. "I've told you before, I'm not going."