Chapter 18

Sydney's POV 

I had this simmering under my skin that felt like it couldn't be soothed and a tension in my muscles that couldn't relax. Brookss' face kept invading my mind as I worked on my proposal but instead of distracting me with lovely daydreams, it fueled my passion to create the best proposal possible to present to his board. 

His arrogance made me feel as if he didn't believe I could do it but I was about to prove to him how wrong he was. My nerves were rattled by the thought of who else could be on the "board" he referred to but I didn't let that stop me. I knew I could run this business and I believed in this vision that kept infiltrating my dreams. It was all coming together before my eyes as I continued to plaster together color schemes and vision boards onto a digital presentation I felt more alive than I had in years.

 The warmth of community, the connections people made, and the aroma of coffee in the air as well as the sound of laughter or the silence of patrons lost in the books they were reading. It felt like a cozy oasis, I could visualize art on the walls and feel the excitement in my bones. 

I began typing out my speech and explanation of what I wanted to create in the space when I heard a tap on the door. Without looking up from the keyboard I hollered out, "It's open!" 

My mom came into the room and I immediately gave her all of my attention, because well, that's what you do when someone you love's future is uncertain, no matter how certain she is that she'll be fine. "Don't stop on my account," she waved her hand toward me, "I'm anxious to see what you came up with. I never in a million years thought that you would want to put any roots down here."

"I wouldn't call them roots but maybe just a temporary nest," I smirked. 

"Regardless, I'm happy to see you happy." she smiled, "Dinner is ready, your dad and Quinn have made a mess of the kitchen but it smells good!" she laughed as she slowly made her way back down the stairs. 

It was comforting to see her laugh and smile but I could tell she was weak and she was a woman who never wanted to seem anything less than strong as a bull. I knew this was humbling for her, it was for us all but I'm grateful that I made the choice to stay. Seeing her in a different light than I did when I was younger has helped me to understand her more. She's human, in the same way I am, and even though it's pretty typical to place your parents on this untouchable pedestal, it's a reality check when that is tested. 

I skipped down the steps and into the kitchen, as my mom had said there was a mess covering every surface but my dad and Quinn had huge grins on their faces. A big pot of chili sat on the stove, a large plate of grilled cheese on the counter, and coming out of the oven freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. It did all look and smell great but there was a reason that I did all the cooking back at home, Quinn was like a tornado on steroids in the kitchen, every dish got dirtied and I usually ended up having to wipe down the ceiling, something I'm still not sure how would happen but it warmed my heart having my family all here under the same roof. 

We crammed ourselves around the small kitchen table and dove into our meal. We laughed, talked and it felt so nostalgic and exactly what I wanted the coffee shop to feel like. I wanted it to represent moments like this. I wanted the feeling of home to surround you, the safety of love to be felt in the walls and the smell of goodness filling the air. I wanted it to be a representation of the simple moments in life that made it the most meaningful, but I also wanted it to have a flare of drama and sarcasm because this was all about sappiness and sentiment. I mean, come on, I am Sydney Graves. 

As ideas flooded my mind I couldn't wait to get back up to finish my presentation when my mom coughed on her chili and all three of us stood up reaching for her. "Mom, Pam, and Babe," all shouted at the same time followed by various, "Are you okay's?" 

She held up her hands "Would you guys calm down, I am fine." relief melted into my muscles that had tensed so quickly I think I threw out my back. "There must have been a jalapeno in that bite," she laughed, "it was so spicy it could have raised the dead." Reaching for her water she took a big drink and tears fell from her eyes, Quinn and Dad immediately started pointing fingers at each other trying to figure out who was responsible for chopping the peppers. Unable to remember they both gave up in laughter and apologies. 

While I watched them all laugh, poke fun, and pretend to argue back and forth, what my mom said, played a loop in my head, "it was so spicy it could have raised the dead." I felt the gears turning, putting things together without actually being aware of what it was I just needed to wait and see what it was coming up with. I repeated the phrase and this time I must have whispered it out loud because Quinn looked at me with confusion on her face. 

I looked up at them as the idea fully formed and all the dots connected, "Coffee so good it will raise the dead!" I nearly screamed. 

The three of them looked at each other with half smiles trying to see if anyone else could figure out what the hell I was talking about. I looked at them as pride filled my chest, the project, what it could be, what I could create felt so exciting I thought my heart was going to burst. 

"The Graveyard, coffee so good it will raise the dead!" I put all together, "The name of the coffee shop!" I threw my hands out and waited for their response. 

Dad began clapping his hands together laughing, Mom had tears in her eyes again but for different reasons this time, and Quinn jumped out of her seat and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. "I LOVE IT!" she screamed, and directly into my ear but I didn't care. The biggest smile crept across my face and I had to swallow down some tears of my own. 

Mom reached out for my hand, "It's perfect Sydney, I'm so proud of you." 

I felt this warmth spread across my chest as I cleaned up my dishes and went back to finish the proposal, now with an official name for it. It was as if all the pieces were falling together but the last one was the most important and that was convincing Brooks to sell it. As I sat back down at my desk I straightened my shoulders and began putting on the final touches and creating an official logo before I went to my closet to pick out what outfit I was going to wear. 

I pulled out the dress I brought with me, the black one from the first night here, an oversized blazer to make it more professional, and my knee-high boots. I smiled to myself and allowed the inspiration to bubble to the surface and inflate my ego. 

Brooks Dawson didn't stand a fucking chance.

AN: Any predictions on how this presentation is going to go??? I'd love to hear in the comments!