~Hair ties~

"The last and final game is capture the flag!" Dean exclaims.

I have so many childhood memories of this game. I used to play it all the time at school with my friends when I was in 3rd grade.

"Alright let's split the teams. Just divide up yourselves" Dean says.

Walker and I make eye contact and laugh a little as we both had the same idea. I'm on a team with Walker, Luis, Javon and Lucy. The other team is the parents.

As we get into line up, discussing who should go after the other teams flag and who should guard, a nice breeze starts blowing through.

I should probably tie my hair back

I reach for a hair tie in my pocket and reach to put my hair back before Walker stops me and motions to let him do it.

"Don't worry I'm like a pro hairstylist" he says, taking my hair tie and collecting my hair.

"Oh I have no doubt" I say. "Do you want to tie your hair back?"

"Oooh yes" he quickly replies after twisting my hair into a ponytail.

"Should I do one tie on top of my head like a unicorn or or two like Shrek" he contemplates.

Luis walks over and joins our conversation "Maybe space buns"

"Ohhh you should braid your hair and then tie it into a unicorn style" Javon says.

"What do you think" Walker turns to me.

"Keep it simple for now and start with unicorn" I say.

"Can you tie it for me?" Walker asks

"Hey man I can tie it for yo-" Javon starts before Luis elbows him and mutters something about love connection.

Javon nods with a serious look on his face and pulls Luis away to talk to Lucy.

Walker bends down a little and bows his head so I can tie his hair. I start collecting prices of hair and smoothing out bumps. I don't know if it got more hot or it was because of body heat but it was hotter than a witches coochie out here.

I twist the hair tie in and back away to see the final result.

I can't help but start uncontrollably laughing. Walker pulls out his phone camera and looks at his hairstyle.

"Aww I look amazing!" He says excitedly. "What do you think?" He asks, looking over at me.

"Well you definitely look...different" I say laughing at how his expression changes.

"Ok I'll go get the flag with Javon and Walker, Lucy and then Luis can stay back, is that good?" I ask our team.

"Yo that sounds great but if I'm allergic to grass if I roll in it and I feel like I have more of a chance to roll if I go with you" Javon says quickly.

"Your allergic to grass?" Lucy questions.
"Not like peanuts?"

"If you're allergic to peanuts you're basic" Javon says proudly.

"I'm allergic to peanuts"

"Oh"

Walker interrupts before Javon said anything else insulting. "I can go with Inez"

"Perfect" Luis says, setting up the flag.

We were still in the park, though it was a section that had less trees and rocks, making it a perfect capture the flag area. Dean had put little red flags so you knew when you were out of bounds so no one got lost.

There was the halfway line which had orange flag cones, like the ones used in sports drills.

Walkers hair was still in the ponytail, so when he walked it sprung back.

A whistle was blown from god knows where by Dean which meant the game had started.

"Let's stick together" Walker whispers.

"Good idea" I say back.

——-
Walker and I had wandered for 15 minutes, wondering how big the boundary was that Dean had set up, seeing as how there was no red flags nearby.

By now, Walker and I had given up on trying to be stealthy and were talking and walking.
Our conversation meandered and we discussed all different things, finding new things out about each other, things like I have vinyls in my room and like to collect them and he loves Deadpool and Batman.

"So what's your favorite color" he asks, moving a tree branch away so it didn't smack my face.

"Guess"

"Neon green"

"Ew what"

"You said to guess!"

I let out a light chuckle before responding. "My favorite color is dark red"

I look over to him. His hair had gone through several different styles throughout our conversation. He wanted it with tiny braids and then he wanted to look like Shrek, and finally went back to his original hairstyle.

"What's you favorite color" I ask

"Guess"

"Vomit green"

"Correct"

"WHAT"

"Nah I'm just kidding" he laughs seeing the reaction on my face.

"Wait shhh" I say hurriedly, peeking over a tree. I see one of the adults named James standing by a bush with the top yellow part of their flag on it.

"What" Walker whispers coming up behind me. His back brushed my shoulder and I blushed because of the sudden contact.

"Umm there's James" I say, hiding my face so he doesn't see the rosy tint on my cheeks.

"I'll distract him, you get the flag" he whispers.

I nod and he takes off, running past the tree and I take it as my cue to go. I look around for the other adults but it looks like they took more of the offensive strategy and sent everyone but James.

Walker was running around in circles and sprinting as fast as he could. James ran after him, Leaving the flag open to take. I snatched up the flag and looked for Walker but he waved at me to go on.

I ran through the trees until I found the green cones and heard another whistle. A few minutes later Walker ran over and gave me a high five.

"We make a good team" he says, smiling at me. The corners of his eyes crinkle and his smile spreads across quickly.

"Also, my favorite color is purple"