Track 02 - Since We Last Checked In

"I'm not giving up though. This is just a break."

Displo's.

A restaurant in a rather mixed area of town. It gave off the outward appearance of a high-end restaurant and bar. Inside, however a mishmash of various styles, some sports themed, some art-themed, some high-class, some middle-class.

One critic had described the place a wayward clash, unsure exactly what it was going for. Displo, its caretaker and namesake never cared much for reviews. The restaurant, besides his project, served a much deeper purpose.

The whole place was actually a front for IRIS, a paranormal-suppression organization, itself moonlighting as a tech company. Secrets all the way down. Originally thought of as a way to train new employees it eventually became a safe area for IRIS agents and a cool place for employees to gather after hours.

And despite that, the restaurant, held another secret, one only a few in IRIS were even aware of. The restaurant served as the base camp of the Carnival, a group of thieves, 'security experts' and 'ruffians' who had so far 'attacked' IRIS and its rival company The Greater Good.

And the leader of the Carnival, a shadowy figure, a former cop by the name of (Y/N) was...you.

For you and the "Carnival" it provided a place to plot and scheme, acting as the breeding ground for the event that would change the city forever.

You were officially a security guard for the restaurant, lounging about at your desk by the entrance, reading a book, or browsing your phone. Wasting time as customers went in and out. Once in a while you were expected to fix something technical or deal with some unruly customers. An unshakeable aura followed you, the one where people figured you were a cop in a different life.

You had a helmet though it remained on the desk, not worn. Displo had given it you, a futuristic helmet that could display a number of facts about the environment and see behind you. At first you wore it a lot, loving its sensors and info.

At least, you did until S found out he could port into it and directly beam Mobius news to your eyes. Since then you wore it sparingly.

Staring out into space, your mind drifts recounting everything that had happened since that one fateful night you were nearly killed.

There were a few reasons you even worked here. One was money, but the real reason was for revenge. The past few weeks were spent building up a crew capable of taking down the largest faction in Newgrounds City, "The Family." Known by a few names from Dearest Clan to Meanest Dynasty they were always just known as The Family. And almost every member of the crew had a history with them, mostly negative, you included.

After all, they were the main reason you were off the force, and the main reason you found yourself agreeing with a lot of the anti-cop sentiment out there.

Through the weeks of trials and tribulations you had formed a group, nicknamed The Carnival.

It consisted of several members. Yourself, a goat-headed man called Tabi, a strange humanoid named Agoti, an alien who had no voice named Nikku, a robotic butler secret agent named Displo, an anthropomorphic apple pie called Pomona, an eldritch being obsessed with Sonic of Mobius just named S, a hyperactive cat-boy named Kapi and a monster found in a factory named Huggy Wuggy. Quite a gaggle of characters.

The Carnival hadn't been too active as of late. The last operation, Earthquake had completely changed the strategies of both IRIS and its main competitor TGG. It drew too many eyes on the Carnival as well as TGG's underpinnings.

The last thing discussed in the meeting was the existence of Whitmore, Kapi's old friend. Displo checked IRIS' records but found nothing. You checked the police database, finding a missing persons report for him. He had a bomb for a head. The case had a note it was handled by TGG. Displo asked Updike who at first denied Whitmore existed then stated that Whitmore was deceased and to not ask any more questions about it.