15.

Friday December 15,
Sutton Middle School,
12:45pm.

Devale

The school let out early for the holiday break and Kairen and TJ walked into my office.

"what's up playas?" i said getting my things together.

"what up unc" TJ said

"what's up Deuce, we still going to the mall today?" Kai said

"yes sir." i reply

"say less" Kairen said.

After getting my things together we went out to my car and made our way to the mall. My boys are the most talented kids because during our rides they like to freestyle and they are actually good as hell. Me? i ain't no freestyle type of nigga so i just let them have it. 25 minutes later we arrived at the mall, i parked and we went into the Macys entrance.

We walked around and got a bunch of shit, or should i say i got them a bunch of shit. Not gone lie i got them whatever they wanted cause i never want my boys to think if they want something they can't get it. Anything you want, you can get it. i bought these kids hella shoes and clothes, cologne, and some jewelry. I even dropped a bag on some stuff for my Beauty, i love that woman so much.

Before we left the boys wanted to eat so i texted Crystal seeing if she wanted something and she said yes. We were standing in line waiting to get some Japanese food when Kairen pointed something out.

He smacked his lips, "bro is that Robert?"

i looked up to where he pointed but i only saw the back of a man's head and he was holding a car seat. i looked down at the car seat and the baby looked very young, maybe 3-4 months old. Then he turned around, that's definitely him. He looked at me then turned completely around at the three of us, i just put my hand on Kai's shoulder.

"oh! if it isn't the nigga trynna be a father to my lil nigga" Robert said. this cat done lost his mind.

i started to speak but Kairen cut me off, "nah i got this. you're sad bro. you're not my father Robert, he is. he's been there for me, he's taught me things boys need to know. you haven't done shit for me!! then you in here with a whole new baby, but you couldn't be a father to me?! what type of fucked up shit is that. You made me question my worth many times, like what did i do to deserve a sperm donor that didn't want me. i cried so many nights because of you and you don't even deserve my tears! You have no right to call yourself my father because you have never acted like it. I've called you so many times but you never answered, not even mom knows that. And you can't dare say he's TRYING to be a father to me, he IS my dad. he's been there for everything. every injury, every time i needed something, he even taught me how to change a tire, something you should've done! but you have your new family and i hope you're a better father to them than you were to me" he wiped his tears. "im not even hungry anymore can we just go home?" he asked

"yea ill order us something on the way" i said. as we walked away Robert did nothing but mug me. "if you know what's good for you, leave MY SON and MY WIFE alone. don't say shit to them if you see them, walk away. cause if i got to hear that you even breathed in their direction, just know i get trigger happy" i whispered to him as we passed by.

I walked out with the boys ahead of me thinking about what Kai said. I always knew he was my son but for him to say im his dad just brought it all home for me. When we got to the car, we put all of our bags in the trunk, got in, and made our way to the house. On the way, i ordered take out since we didn't get our food from the mall. By the time we got to the house the food was delivered so we got everything and went in. The boys said their hellos to Crystal who was coming from her room then went upstairs. I put all of my bags in the room and Crystal follows. I give her a long hug and a kiss before pulling away.

"what is wrong with my son?" She asked

"he told me to it was okay for me to tell you because he didn't want to talk about it actually"

"what is it?" she said holding my hand as we both sat down on the bed. i told her what happened and everything Kairen said also what i said.

"damn Kai told his ass off. but knowing Robert, that shit when in one ear and out the other"

"yea he looks like the type of nigga that don't care and i would hate for his kids to grow up without a father"

"well speaking of, how did it make you feel when he said you were his father?" she asked me.

"it made me feel good. it definitely pulled at my heart strings cause you know i say all the time he's my son. but i think being looked at as a father, it means everything to me because that means im doing something right"

"you are. and im so very grateful that he has you as his father. you've held him down since yall met, he speaks very highly of you"

There was a knock at the door and we saw Kairen coming in.

"mom can i talk to Deuce really quick?" He asked

"of course. you okay my sonshine?" Crystal asked standing up

Kai smiled, "yea im good mom, ill talk to you about it later"

Crystal smiled, gave him a hug and a kiss then walked out of the room closing the door behind her. Kai came and sat next to me, i stayed silent until he began to speak.

"um im sorry for calling you my dad. i don't want you to feel like you have to step up to the plate and act like one, it's just how i feel"

"oh no, hey look at me" i said and he looked at me. "you don't have to apologize for anything you said because one, your feelings are valid. and two, you're my son, i tell everyone that because that's how i see you. not as a step son, but as MY son. My blood may not run through you, but that doesn't make you any less of a son to me. and i'm over the moon that you called me your dad, because i am." i wiped the tears that were coming down his face.

"and i'm gonna tell you this because it's the truth, but it's fuck that other nigga, he a bitch. But i'm glad he is because you and your mother are the absolute best thing that has happened to me. so if you want to call me dad or whatever, don't be afraid to. i can promise you that ill always be here for you, ill never break that promise to you. i'm not Robert and he damn sure ain't me. you got it?"

He nodded, "i love you kid" i say. "i love you too dad" he said. i pulled him in for a hug and kissed the top of his head.

"you hungry yet? cause your mother is definitely hungry" i asked him

"yea we can eat"

"alright go get your cousin, yall wash your hands and shit"

"yes sir" he said and we both went out of the bedroom. he went upstairs and i went into the kitchen where my baby was.

"he good?" she asked me

"yes he straight"

"okay good, thank you for being his safe space"

"what you mean? you're his safe space too"

"i mean like as a boy and you being a man, he probably goes to you about things that he wouldn't come to me about and im glad he does"

"it's no problem, that's my guy"

The boys came downstairs and we all began eating while also engaging in a conversation.

______

Short chapter. I'm going on a break until after my finals. i'll be backs with more in 2 weeks!

also i love feedback so..yk. also if yall want to see something happen tell me and i can probably make it happen.

don't forget it did say ill be turning it up, so when i come back, expect the unexpected!🫶🏽🫶🏽