4 - Savage Pursuit.

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"

- William Goldman

My skin tingled from the heat radiating off another's body as my eyes slowly fluttered open

My skin tingled from the heat radiating off another's body as my eyes slowly fluttered open. Dread rushed through me as I quickly rolled over to create some distance from the aftermath of last night's mistake. Who had I brought home this time? I shifted my head from the crook of my arm to catch a peek.

I was met with the sight of long red hair cascading down a beautifully naked back of the woman on the bed beside me, a natural hourglass figure in full view. Beautiful.

Her name was at the edge of my mind. Corinne? Cory?

Dragging my hand across my bare torso, I sneak a peek beneath the covers. I was as naked as the day I came into the world.

Slipping out of the bed as quietly as possible, I tried not to disturb my guest. Small talk in the light of day held no appeal, especially without my coffee.

Time for a shower.

Hot water splashed down over me as I rinsed the traces of her musky fragrance from my body. A quick comb through my wet hair, a fresh shave, and I picked a dress shirt of my favourite shade; black. Pure, unadulterated simplicity.

I re-entered my bedroom, half-hoping to find her gone.

Nope. She was still here. Corinne. It had to be Corinne.

"Sweetie?" I crouched, cautiously placing a hand on her shoulder. "Wake up."

"Hmm?" Her eyes lazily blinked open as she stretched. Her gaze trailed down my slicked-back hair, the necklace with the ring dangling in the middle, all the way to my leather boots. "Morning, handsome. Last night was so good."

No disagreement there. The sex last night was more than satisfying. But it was over. She'd overstayed her welcome in my private penthouse. Her staying till the dawn after a one-night stand was something I was not prepared for. This had not been a part of the plan. Clearly, I had mistaken her for the 'one-night-only' type.

A mistake. Not a common occurrence in my life, but also not one I intended to repeat.

"Listen, Corinne." My tone, gruff yet gentle, belied my nerves. I wanted this to go smoothly. No drama. "Last night was fun, but I have some work to attend to."

She frowned, slowly sitting up, sheet wrapped around her. She squinted, bleary-eyed, running a hand through her wild hair. Her emerald eyes piercing through mine.

"So, you're kicking me out?" she asked. It wasn't angry, or surprised, merely resigned. As if she'd known all along.

"I'm just not ready for company, today," I tried to smooth it over, make it easier.

"Sure." Korine pulled herself off the bed, letting the sheets fall away. She didn't bother trying to hide her nakedness. Picking her discarded clothes up from the floor, she slowly dressed herself. She wasn't rushed, not trying to make a scene.