23 - Intoxicated by Sin.

"To exact revenge for yourself or your friends is not only a right, it's an absolute duty."

- Stieg Larsson

Once I was certain that we were safely out of danger from the Colombian attack, I packed up and left the hotel, escorting Theodore back home

During the drive back, Theodore couldn't seem to find enough words to express the ocean of gratitude swelling within him. He broke the silence in the car, saying, "Hector, I don't think I could ever repay you for what you did."

I kept my eyes on the road, ensuring Theo was out of harm's way, while keeping a casual air about me despite the pain. "You're my family, Theo. I'd never take your safety lightly."

Despite this lighthearted chat, my insides were a wreck. Every breath felt like sandpaper on my lungs and I did my best to keep a straight face despite the throbbing bullet wound seeping crimson in my side. I suspected the bullet was lodged in the hollow part of my stomach. However, it didn't reduce the impact of the blow, the burning pain was there as constant as my heartbeats.

The last thing I wanted was for Theodore to be aware of my injuries, and so I grimaced and bore the pain all the way home.

"Theo, stay indoors. I have something to take care of," I told him as I opened the car door for him.

Theodore gave me a weary look. "Hector, thank you," he murmured, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I winced at the contact, but managed to hide it with a slight cough. "Always, Theo. Family takes care of family."

As soon as Theodore was safely inside the mansion, I immediately took off to Goat's, as his place operated as a secret medical facility for our men.

The whole ride there, I tried to suppress my painful winces, clutching at my bleeding side, silently cursing the Colombians for my current predicament. Upon arrival, I stumbled out of the car, groaning in agony. I gritted my teeth, mumbling a quiet curse.

Goat had already brought Tommy; a rough-around-the-edges medic with hands as steady as a surgeon's, and were waiting by the door.

"Hell, Hector, you really can't stay out of trouble, can you?" Tommy helped me inside, steadying me as I doubled over in pain.

"It's not in my nature, Tommy," I panted out through gritted teeth. I continued after a pause, "Make it quick, would ya? And, Goat, make sure mom and Maddie don't know about this."

Goat let out a resigned sigh. "Got it. The bullet wound protocol. This isn't the first time, won't be the last."

"Yeah," I grunted in reply, managing to find a humorless laugh through the agony, "Thanks for keeping it on file."

"This is going to be messy," Tommy declared, laying his bag on a nearby table and immediately digging through it. He turned over to Goat, "Do you have any whiskey?"