9 - An Eye For An Eye.

"I'm a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I'm no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won't hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat."

- Muhammad Ali

I vowed not to wallow or let guilt overtake me

I vowed not to wallow or let guilt overtake me. The only way to ensure my brother's safety was by making sure Sergei ceased to exist. To accomplish this, there were minor steps I needed to execute. But these small steps were set to form a massive retaliation on my part because my motto was to either go big or go home.

My office had served as a sanctuary for contemplation. In my brooding silence, my mind whirled with plans to counter Sergei's strike. I had sent Irving and Sawyer out to gather intel, anything that would give me an upper hand.

The clock ticked away the small hours. Finally, the door creaked open, snapping me out of my bitter contemplation. Sawyer stepped in, a sly grin on his face. The shadows of the dimly lit room shrouded his features.

"Sawyer, any luck?" I questioned, fixing my eyes on him, praying he brought me the news I awaited.

"We've got a lead," he announced with a level of satisfaction. He sauntered closer to my desk, "A big one. Apparently, there's a large shipment due to land in Sergei's Englewood warehouse at dawn."

My heart thundered with anticipation. The nugget of information felt like gold. A ray of revenge piercing through the storm of gloom Sergei's attack had unleashed. I squeezed my fists and felt the leather of my chair crunching under my grip. His indifference for his family had led me here, a strike against his precious shipment would hit Sergei where it hurt the most.

"Get ready Sawyer," I spoke in a steady voice, controlling my rising anticipation.

He nodded.

"We're gonna need the big guns for this one. This needs to be quick and clean," I instructed. "Tell Irving to gather up our men. I want eyes on that warehouse all morning. No one, and I mean no one, gets in or out without our knowing."

"Understood," Sawyer said, moving to leave.

As the door closed behind him, I reclined in my chair. Tomorrow, I was certain, the tables would turn in my favor.

 Tomorrow, I was certain, the tables would turn in my favor