13 - Unattainable Desires.

"There will be killing till the score is paid."

- Homer

Upon arrival at The Lounge, my gaze roved over the dark, neon-lit interiors

Upon arrival at The Lounge, my gaze roved over the dark, neon-lit interiors. Lively chatter filled the air, accompanied by a deep, throbbing bass line that sent subtle vibrations coursing through the polished floor. Dancers gyrated under the pulsating, multi-colored lights. Swirls of intoxicating fragrances; high-end whiskey, exotic perfumes, the lingering hint of fine cigars, wafted through the pulsing environment.

Everything was in place. My empire, while dark and secret, ran with the efficiency and slick precision of a Swiss watch.

Striding past the luxurious VIP section, I got the salute and grin of recognition from a few known faces; the elites of Chicago's underworld.

Tonight was not for work though, and I reciprocated their greetings with an uncharacteristic warm grin and casual salute.

The Lounge was Goat's preferred watering hole. Although he claimed it was for the premium beverages, it was damn clear to both Zane and I that it was the half-naked girls and booming bass that drew him.

"Fucking finally!" Goat roared as he collapsed onto a plush leather sofa in the VIP section, a girl flanking him on either side.

He had chosen a private booth with a bird's eye view of the pulsating dance floor below.

Rolling my eyes, I found a quieter spot on a red leather couch, conveniently positioned away from Goat's entourage. "The vibe seems different tonight, Goatie," I pointed out.

"Absolutely. Plan on soaking up some life from these lively souls tonight," he said, lifting his drink in response.

That was the same deal for me. I wouldn't concern myself with anything. I needed the breather, and this club, pulsating with raw life and energy, seemed like the ideal place for it.

It was fascinating watching my diverse patrons move in the dancing pool.

Suddenly, the club's mood dimmed as the latest track transitioned to a soulful blues. Buzzed and feeling a slight headrush, I embraced the shift with a half-smile.

"Here's to the high life, however fleeting it may be," Goat announced, hoisting his glass for a toast.

I mirrored his actions, clinking glasses. Tonight was mine to live. To hell with caution and worry. This was my fucking night off.

"We can't stay late!" Zane yelled over the pulsating beats.

"Live a little, Zane! Don't be such a buzzkill!" Goat yelled back with his signature devil-may-care grin. "Do any of you ladies have more friends to join our lonely boys over here?"

"Appreciate the offer, but I'll pass!" Zane responded, though it fell on Goat's deaf ears.

Meanwhile, one of the girls fished out her phone and quickly sent a flurry of messages to her friends.