5 - Crimson Currency.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green."

- Francis Bacon

"Morning, gorgeous," I warmly greeted, placing a gentle kiss on my mother's forehead

"Morning, gorgeous," I warmly greeted, placing a gentle kiss on my mother's forehead. I drew up a chair beside her at the breakfast table, turning to my sister with a soft smile, "Good morning, sweetie."

"Good morning, honey," my mother smiled and her hands moved to my cheek, caressing it with a tenderness that I had grown so accustomed to. "Heard anything from Daniel?" A shadow of sadness spread across her features.

"No word yet," I admitted, anxiety evident in my tone. "But I will find him."

"I still can't believe what's happening," Maddie added with a sad shake of her head. "How could Daniel betray his own father like this? Theo hasn't done anything to deserve this!"

Her words rang true. Theo was the innocent party in all of this. After losing our father, Theo, took Maddie and I under his wing. He loved and cared for us like we were his children. An uncle who was more like a father to us. I loved and respected him immeasurably, which only made my rage toward Daniel that much fiercer.

"Let's avoid bringing it up around Theo, okay? He's got enough going on," I warned before turning back to my mother, "Can you try again to get him out of his room?"

"Don't worry, dear, I'm making his favorite meal for lunch later, I'll give it another shot," she reassured me.

Suddenly, the roar of an engine echoed outside. As I left the house in a flurry, Zane arrived and stopped at the driveway. "Where are we headed?" he asked, curiosity evident in his tone.

Despite my seething anger, I tried to remain composed. "We have to find Daniel," I declared.

"Nathan's?" he asked, failing to mask his irritation by the mere mention of Daniel's name.

"Yeah," I confirmed.

We drove off to Nathan's place, Daniel's friend, with the hope that he might know where to find him.

The apartment was an utter mess, it reeked of alcohol cigarettes and weed. Nathan was passed out cold on the couch in the frunchroom with two naked girls sprawled next to him.

One of the girls, a brunette, stirred and looked at us blearily. "Who are you?" she mumbled, before her eyes focused on me and she grinned. "Oh, you're new! Come party with us!" She sat up, completely naked, and tried to pull me onto the couch with her.

I yanked her off and jabbed Nathan in an attempt to wake him. "Rise and shine!"

His eyes shot open in confusion. "Who the...who are you?"

I glowered at him, losing patience as he fumbled to put a name to my face. "Oh. Hector. What do you want, man?" he groaned, only partially awake.

"Where is Daniel! Where's he at?" I demanded loudly.