8 - Fury, Fear, and Favors.

"People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance."

- Niccolo Machiavelli

As soon as I walked into the restaurant, Hector, looking absolutely dashing in his sleek black Brioni suit, warmly greeted me at the door

As soon as I walked into the restaurant, Hector, looking absolutely dashing in his sleek black Brioni suit, warmly greeted me at the door. He graciously helped me up the first few steps, extending his hand in a chivalrous gesture.

"Good evening, Ms. Monroe," he warmly addressed me then glanced over at Sawyer, acknowledging him with a nod. "Sawyer."

"Hector," Sawyer returned.

We made our way inside the restaurant, while Sawyer stood watch at the entrance. The place was deserted, with no other customers in sight except the two of us.

"I hope you don't mind that I've reserved the entire place just for us," Hector said, helping me to a chair. "I thought some privacy wouldn't hurt."

"Not at all, that's a nice touch," I replied, giving him a small smile.

As we sat down, Hector called for the waiter to serve our drinks.

There was something in Hector that exuded confidence and sophistication. At a striking six feet tall, with hair like the darkest honey and piercing grey eyes that shimmered with intensity, he was an undeniable picture of charm. A roguish dimpled smile completed the picture, giving him a devilish allure.

Despite my initial attraction to his aura, I couldn't help but sense a dark undertone.

Hector Pierce had a reputation for both his remarkable negotiation abilities and his astoundingly precise skill with a blade. Tales said he could slice through a crowd without a speck of blood on his suit. Debates on whether to refer to him as The Soulless Butcher or The Icy Surgeon were not uncommon.

Equally remarkable was Hector's talent for staying a step ahead of the law. I found myself, for a moment, captivated by his intimidating aura.

Collecting myself quickly, hoping he hadn't caught me gawking, I broke the silence. "I'm here, Mr. Pierce," I said, raising my glass of Rosé for a quick sip.

"You don't beat around the bush, Ms. Monroe," His tone was filled with faint amusement.

In response, I simply gave him a nod.

"Fair enough," he began. "I looked into your impressive work on the De Laurentiis case, and I must say, I was greatly impressed. Especially with how you managed to get Ronan out so quickly. Your methods, though, are rather...unconventional."

"You're stating the obvious, but what are you trying to say?" I interjected, already knowing exactly where he was headed.

"Sasha. You tamed that beast, bending him to your will. A gamble that could've easily gone south," he paused to gauge my reaction, before continuing. "I'm curious, how did you pull that off?"