36 - Twisted Game.

"I am sick of roses, and I am horny for revenge."

- Tamsyn Muir

Barely containing the growing agitation within me, I paced around my office like a restless predator

Barely containing the growing agitation within me, I paced around my office like a restless predator. I had put in countless hours, even sacrificing sleep, to dig deep and investigate every lead to unravel the dark circumstances surrounding the brutal shooting at the hotel. But at every turn, I found myself trapped in a frustrating dead end of confusion, leaving me with more questions than answers.

While I knew that Frankie was at the heart of this tragic chain of events, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was still a hidden facet waiting to be discovered. However, a more potent anxiety consumed me - a gut-wrenching worry for Frankie's safety. The mere thought of something untoward happening to her twisted my insides, stirring up an unusual restlessness and dread within me.

As my men combed scoured every crevice of New York City, desperately searching for the old man, the creeping feeling of defeat drew closer with each passing hour. Every lead we pursued turned out to be a dead end, like roads abruptly ending and cliffs dropping into the abyss of my growing desperation and frustration.

The sounds of the bustling city filtering through the slightly ajar window added a layer of mockery to my despair. The ordinary hustle and bustle clashed sharply with my inner turmoil.

I was gripped by a pressing urge - an impulse I could not dismiss or ignore.

Frankie. I had to see her. I yearned to see her safety with my own eyes.

Dalilah, Frankie's secretary, opened her office door for me with a warm smile.

There she was, Frankie, practically buried beneath a pile of paperwork and constantly swapping files with a focus I could only envy.

Even though it was only a handful of days since our last encounter, it felt as if I hadn't seen her in a lifetime. From my viewpoint, I couldn't resist gazing at her, silently admiring her attractive features: the subtle roundness of her jawline and the way her eyes sparkled as they absorbed the surrounding light.

"Scott, have you managed to fetch that report for me?" Frankie questioned, not bothering to raise her eyes from the sea of paperwork.

I stifled a laugh, amused at her innocent mix-up. Once she looked up, our eyes connected and her face practically glowed with happiness. The sight of her bright, cheery smile seemed to send waves of warmth rushing through my chest, settling my chaotic thoughts.

"Hector!" she beamed. "What brings you here?"

Maintaining my slow pace, I began to walk in a wide arc around her office desk. Without wasting any time, I wrapped her in a firm embrace and placed a strong kiss upon her lips, as if it could be the final one we ever shared.

I had always made it a point to keep my emotions hidden behind a fortress of defenses, barricading myself away from any form of attachment that could stir the heart. Frankie, however, seemed to bypass my defenses with remarkable ease, leaving me defenseless and completely in love.