25 - Denying the Inevitable.

"No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place."

- Meir Kahane

On a frigid Saturday morning, I stirred from a heavy slumber, gasping from the same cursed nightmare that had been haunting me for years

On a frigid Saturday morning, I stirred from a heavy slumber, gasping from the same cursed nightmare that had been haunting me for years. I was already bracing myself for the inevitable wave of grief that the coming days would carry, yet my mind offered no sanctuary from those night terrors.

Brushing the hair off my face, I swapped my pyjamas for comfy casuals and made a beeline to check on Noah.

I pushed the door open and greeted him, "Morning, baby!" mustering as much cheer as I could in my voice.

Seeing his charmingly innocent face never failed to have a soothing effect on me.

He reflected my smile back at me, the simple purity in it acting as a salve to my anxious mind. "Morning, Frankie," his voice rang back with an innocent echo.

I pressed a soft kiss onto his cheek, followed by a light, playful pinch on his other cheek, just to tease him. "So, you have any plans for today?" I asked, praying for some form of distraction.

In response, he only shrugged, the earlier cheer fading quickly from his face. "Don't wanna do anything, Frankie."

Persisting, I suggested, "How about we spend the day outside, just the two of us?" I hoped a change of scenery might dispel his mounting gloominess.

His response was reluctant. "No, Frankie, I don't wanna. I want to stay, just want to stay here." The tinge of sadness creeping into his voice was a hard pill to swallow.

It struck me how thoughtless I had been to propose the idea of a day out. I should have realised it would mean him seeing all those holiday decorations that lined the city streets, only serving to deepen his sadness.

Thinking on my feet, I quickly pivoted the plans. "You know what we could do?" At this, he turned to face me, curiosity replacing some of the sadness. "We stay in, call for a pizza and binge-watch Harry Potter. How about that?"

His eyes lit up at the suggestion, a small, almost ghostly smile danced at his lips. "Okay, pizza's good, it's good. We can do that," he acquiesced.

I took his face in my hands, letting the silence do the talking. Peering into his magnificent ice-blue eyes, I spoke softly, "Noah, you need to know, I love you more than words can describe. And trust me when I say this, we are going to get through this, together. I promise."

──●◎●──

As I woke up, the morning light filtering through the curtains, I was greeted by an unexpected surge of hope. This was down to two reasons. Firstly, the time Noah and I had spent together yesterday, a day filled with smiles and laughter. And secondly, papà's late-night call had brought a relief like no other - the Colombian issue had been sorted out. It was thanks to Hector that we could put that threat behind us.