27 - Music Of Secrets.

"My vengeance needs blood."

- Marquis De Saded

The hours had swept by swiftly, and now here we were, on the eve of the most magical day of the year

The hours had swept by swiftly, and now here we were, on the eve of the most magical day of the year. Yet for Frankie and Noah, the magic had long since faded, replaced by the painful memories that this day held. I knew I couldn't let them face this alone. Despite Frankie's tough exterior, I could sense the turmoil brewing beneath the surface. And so, I chose to be with them on this day, providing whatever comfort and support I could.

"Papà," Sawyer greeted me as I pulled into the driveway.

"Evening, son," I greeted him with a pat on his sturdy shoulder. "Everything going alright?"

Exhaling a prolonged, weighed sigh, Sawyer failed miserably in concealing his obvious concern. "I'm so worried about her."

"I know you are, and so am I. That's why I'm here," I replied, hoping to offer him some reassurance.

As we made our way into the house together, I was surprised to spot Hector already waiting there for us.

"Hector! My boy, you're already here," I exclaimed, not expecting his presence.

His face lit up with a genuine smile at my acknowledgement. "Papà, it's truly good to see you," he responded, moving closer to embrace me.

I immediately reciprocated the embrace, engulfing him in a warm hug.

"Son, the feeling is mutual. It is good to have you here, I acknowledged, letting go of him and eyeing the house as a pressing question formed in my mind. "But where are the rest of them?"

"They're upstairs. Noah's not feeling well today. I tried to help in whatever way I could, but it's tough to know what to do when you have no clue about what's wrong," he said, the creases on his forehead deepening in a show of concern. "I can't help but wonder, though. Why does Christmas feel so different here this time around? What happened?"

The question hung heavily in the air as I moved towards the couch and slumped into it, a palpable worry engulfing me. Hector's question had hit the nail right on the head, but it wasn't my story to tell. However, I admired his sincerity and willingness to help.

I began to speak, carefully picking my words, "Son, I understand that you're just trying to help, and I am immensely grateful for everything you've done for her, but there are some tales that aren't mine to unfold."

Hector took a moment to take it all in before responding, his understanding clear as he gave a single, firm nod. "I understand," he simply said.

From upstairs, the ethereal tones of a violin slowly began to seep into the quiet of the room below. Both of us looked towards the source of the music, momentarily transported by its serene beauty.

There was something unique about Frankie's skill with the violin. Her performance always carried a kind of haunting allure, which was no less captivating even in this moment. The particular melody she chose today held an emotional significance. It was the only composition that could calm Noah during times like these.