22 - Risks of the Reckless.

"You are enough to drive a saint to madness or a king to his knees."

- Grace Willows

I had always seen myself as a man of reason

I had always seen myself as a man of reason. A man untouched by emotions, desires or uncalculated impulsive actions. Then she entered my life, causing my willpower to dissipate as though it never existed at all.

I felt utterly helpless when it came to her. The mere notion of her presence stirred emotions in me that I was not aware I had.

She was a paradox, both intoxicating and frustrating, and I found myself constantly drawn to her.

Despite my best efforts, I couldn't quite figure her out. She was a puzzle that kept me up at night, a challenge that I couldn't resist.

But I loved trying. No matter how many times I failed.

And her lips.. they tasted like heaven and hell all at once. Every kiss left me wanting more, addicted to the rush that came with her touch.

I knew I should stay away, but like any addict, I craved the high she gave me. I was in too deep and there was no turning back now.

My attention was thoroughly consumed by the tangle of thoughts running through my head, my eyes vacant as they fixated on the lifeless screen of my phone. Suddenly, the ringtone sliced through my reverie, the caller ID flashing Zane's name.

"Are we good to go?" Zane's gruff voice echoed on the line.

"Affirmative, I'll let you know when we hit the road," I responded.

A glance at the clock revealed that it was already six in the evening. Inside me, anticipation roared to life like a startled dragon.

Frankie had sketched out the strategy with usual impeccable precision, making sure all angles were covered. But despite the thorough planning, the nagging anxiousness that gnawed at my gut was unshakeable. I wanted to keep her away from the danger, yet she was determined to be directly involved.

Tonight, I was charged with ensuring Theo's safety during the meeting. This included monitoring our surroundings and mitigating any threats that would inevitably rear their ugly heads.

"Marqus, Tony," I turned to address two of my trusted men, "You two accompany the rest of the men. Logan, I need you to stick with us," I commanded, watching as everyone loaded into the awaiting cars.

As we settled into the vehicles, I could see the stern reflection of armed men. We were like a moving arsenal as we made our way towards The Langham hotel. We had left an hour before our scheduled meeting time, giving us a comfortable head start. The Colombians might have caught wind of the meeting, and a surprise attack from them could be lethal.

"Are you sure we could be targeted?" Theo's nervous question shattered my trail of thoughts.

"Absolutely," I asserted firmly, eyes still focused on the road that stretched before us. "I'm not going to compromise with your safety, Theo."