30 - Intoxicating Darkness.

"Karma comes after everyone eventually. You can't get away with screwing people over your whole life, I don't care who you are. What goes around comes around. That's how it works. Sooner or later the universe will serve you the revenge that you deserve."

- Jessica Brody

Not being able to just throw caution to the wind and give into my desire for Hector was the most challenging part of our forbidden relationship

Not being able to just throw caution to the wind and give into my desire for Hector was the most challenging part of our forbidden relationship. A part of me regretted crumbling in front of him, blurting out all the things I'd been too scared to even acknowledge to myself, let alone talk about. But then this overwhelming sense of assurance, like nothing I'd ever felt, came over me and I just knew that I could let all my guard down because Hector would be right there, no matter what.

Two weeks had passed since the last incident with Hector. Since that unforgettable day, it seemed our paths crossed more than they should - unavoidable business meetings or unplanned visits to check up on Noah and me. Each time was more intense, each encounter fueled the flame of attraction that seemed to grow brighter by the day.

Everything was starting to fall into place again. Big Solly was pushing through with his plans to release Uncle Ben, who had been wrongfully jailed for twenty two years. Noah had also improved drastically since Christmas, nothing could top that feeling of relief.

I ventured into the closet to select my outfit for Aisling's birthday, an event that was more like a family gathering. Aisling had insisted Noah help her with the decorations, so Noah and Layla were already at papà's.

Choosing a simple yet elegant outfit for the occasion, I decided on a figure-hugging, V-neck, long sleeve mini dress. A dab of light makeup enhanced my features, and leaving my hair loose added to the overall look.

Just as I stepped out of my walk-in closet, my heart stopped. Hector stood against the wall, a bouquet of stunning red roses in hand, and dressed to kill in his slick black suit and crisply unbuttoned white shirt. I noticed him appreciatively scan my outfit, before meeting my eyes, a mischievous grin playing on his lips.

"What a vision you are," he complimented, extending the bouquet of roses towards me.

Reducing the gap between us, I encircled my arms around his neck. "These roses are beyond beautiful," I murmured softly.

He smirked, "They're pretty alright, but pale in comparison to you," he murmured back.

On impulse, he gripped my waist, drawing me nearer before softly kissing me, the act sending a wave of warmth cascading through my being.

As we pulled away, his eyes bore into mine, their grey hue causing my knees to tremble. "Are we ready to head out?" he asked, his voice resonating deep and rich.

I responded with a nod, sliding into my Louboutin heels while he fetched my coat and bag. But as we prepared to leave, Olivia timidly knocked on the bedroom door.