37 - History.

"There are four kinds of homicide; felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy."

- Ambrose Bierce

Heartbreak was more than just a fleeting feeling

Heartbreak was more than just a fleeting feeling. It was an actual state of being, a chronic condition that was the heaviness of emotions you lugged around. It was a hurt so profound, it seemed to echo in your chest eternally.

Heartbreak was comparable to being poised at the edge of a cliff, ready to dive off, yet too afraid to make the leap.

That was exactly my state when Hector walked away from me, out of my life.

My feelings for Hector were profoundly intense, seeping through the corners of my heart, setting roots deeper than I ever allowed anyone else. M

When he was gone, it felt like he carried a part of me with him - part that seemed irreplaceable, a gaping void impossible to be filled again. His presence haunted me to such an extent that, with every blink, all I saw was his face, and all I felt was the pain.

Tossed on my bed aimlessly, my eyes traced patterns on the ceiling. A waterfall of tears streamed down my face, my heart heavy and hurting. The intensity of the pain was such that it became an agonizing physical sensation that made it hard for me to breathe. I tried to stop the unending flow of tears, but they poured freely as if rebelling against me.

Abruptly, Sawyer's voice punctured the fog of grief that engulfed me. "Frankie. Can I come in?"

Wiping my tears away hurriedly, I attempted to appear composed. "Sure." However, my voice betrayed my shaky composure.

The door creaked open, revealing Sawyer's pained face etched with grim sorrow. My heart sank. A feeling of dread overcame me; something devastating had happened. I could feel it.

"What is it?" I questioned, unconsciously girding myself for a devastating blow.

Taking a long pause, Sawyer gathered his breath, struggling with the unbearable weight of the impending news. "Hector. His car was bombed," he barely muttered.

The words struck me like a bullet, sucking the breath out of my lungs.

I could almost hear the crack in my heart.

I gasped, my hand instinctively clutching my chest as though to contain the shards threatening to shatter.

It couldn't be. The prospect of losing him too soon was too devastating. I had to check myself from screaming.

My tears had stopped in their tracks, suspended in a state of disbelieving silence.

Silently, I begged any god listening to save him, to spare me this agony.

Without wasting any time, I jumped out of the bed and rushed towards the car parked outside, Sawyer keeping pace behind me.

Barely having reached the car, Sawyer practically fell into the passenger seat as I furiously started the car. "Let me drive!" he desperately pleaded, but his voice faded away in the deafening storm raging within me.