10 - Blood Oaths and Cigar Smoke.

"It is always better to avenge dear ones than to indulge in mourning."

- Seamus Heaney

I had received an invitation from Frankie for a small dinner celebration at her place

I had received an invitation from Frankie for a small dinner celebration at her place. She mentioned that it was a little party to celebrate her men's recovery as well as the successful operation that led to the destruction of Sergei's shipment. Though the invite was touching, I knew deep down that she wanted to appreciate my little input and the assistance that my men had given her during the hit that night.

As I arrived at her house, my men, Goat and Zane accompanied me as we made our way past the gate. When we arrived, Frankie was already waiting for us at the door, a warm and welcoming smile lit her beautiful face.

"I'm glad you guys could make it," she warmly greeted us.

"We wouldn't have missed it!" Goat chimed in eagerly, grinning as he bounded past her into the inviting living room with Zane, while I held back a bit.

I offered Frankie a bottle of her favorite Rosé wine as a small gesture of gratitude for the invitation.

"You really didn't need to, but thank you," she graciously accepted the wine. "Please, make yourselves at home," she ushered me further into the house.

I followed her into the dining room, where her men had assembled around a robust dinner table. The room buzzed with conversation and the atmosphere was comfortable. Andy and Steve were among the crowd and it was quite relieving to see them well and recovered. I made a point to acknowledge their presence.

"Andy, Steve, good to see you guys are doing well," I addressed them.

They responded enthusiastically in unison, "Thank you!"

Steve nodded at me in acknowledgment, "Thank you for helping our men."

"My pleasure," I returned his nod.

She ushered me towards the head of the table, suggesting I take the seat. The warm, familiar chatter filled the room, creating a pleasant atmosphere.

After dinner was served, we raised our glasses for a toast.

"First of all," Frankie started, standing and holding her wine high. "Thank you all for being here, but more importantly, for all you did. Your efforts saved my men's lives and crippled Sergei. To that, I am immensely grateful."

The room echoed with the sound of clinking glasses, but it soon died down as I rose to my feet.

"I'd just like to say a few words," I started. "None of us did this expecting gratitude. We saw a chance to help up a friend and we took it, and we would do it again in a heartbeat."

The room was filled with the sounds of cheering. Looking around, I was amazed by the closeness among the group. As I settled back in my seat, Frankie locked her eyes with mine and gave a slight nod.