34 - Family Secrets and Silent Whispers.

"Vengeance and retribution require a long time; it is the rule."

- Charles Dickens

Exhausted to the bone, I blinked my gritty eyes and fought off the overwhelming urge to sleep

We were all desperately waiting for news on Salvatore's condition but the update hadn't come yet.

In the meanwhile, Salvatore's family camped by his bedside, but I kept my distance to avoid any awkward exchanges.

His doctors had not minced their words - the 24 hours post his surgery were going to be a trial by fire, a terrifying balance act that could tilt in either direction.

Yet, an intuitive part of me held firm to the belief that Salvatore, with his steely resolve, would manage to beat the odds.

My train of thought was interrupted as Hector joined me in the hospital's waiting area. "You doing okay?" he asked, concern edging his voice.

With a quiet sigh, I allowed my head to rest against his broad shoulder, letting the crushing reality of the moment seep in.

"I don't know," I responded, struggling to give a name to the vortex of emotions within me.

He answered my vulnerability with a kiss pressed against my forehead, and coaxed gently, "Talk to me, baby."

Straightening my posture, I turned my face to look into his. When our eyes met, a floodgate of emotions broke open, overwhelming me. Fleeting memories of stolen moments with him crowded my mind. Suddenly, a desperate yearning took hold - a yearning for the solace of his embrace. For the brief oblivion that came from forgetting the world and focusing on each other.

Unable to resist, I jumped up, clamping onto Hector’s hand tightly, and hauled him towards the end of the corridor.

"Where we going?" His query, laced with bewilderment, fell on deaf ears as I propelled us both forward without answering.

Reaching the room tucked in the corner, I secured the door and whirled around to shove Hector against it. Losing all semblance of control, I tangled my fingers in his hair, crashing my lips against his with a fierceness that startled us both.

Caught by surprise, Hector hesitated but only for a moment. With that out of the way, he cupped my face, responding to my desperation with equal passion. He sucked on my lips hungrily, the fervor of our kisses stealing my breath away.

I moved my hands down to his shirt, frantically working at the buttons, when Hector pulled away, grasping my wrists firmly.

"Baby," he breathed out, his tone laced with a cocktail of desire and uncertainty. "What are you doing?"

Holding his penetrating grey gaze, I came clean. "Hector, I need you. I need us."

"But-" he started to argue, but I interrupted.