Chapter 9

RAELYNN

After cutting the call, I took a much needed breath to calm down.

There's been certain discrepancies between our financial plan and the cost estimates of Marino Constructions' finance team regarding the construction of the factory.

"I thought we've already dealt with it.", I muttered to myself, displeased.

I've informed my secretary, Mr. Brown, that I'd be coming in two hours, so I have enough time to attend the therapy session.

Walking to Dr. Nicholas's cabin, I looked at his assistant and walked in as he nodded at me.

As I opened the door and stepped in, Nicholas smiled at me in greeting and gestured to me to take my seat.

"Good afternoon.", I greeted politely.

I sat on the small elegant sofa, opposite to his armchair, a coffee table in between us.

"So, how has your week been?", he asked gently.

"Eventful, I guess.", I replied calmly.

"Anything interesting?", he asked.

"A lot.", I replied, pursing my lips, remembering everything.

The next few minutes passed by with me giving account of the incidents that took place in the past one week, including the comments Emily made and the way I had gone through a reminder of the past, and my reactions and perspectives about them.

Nicholas listened to me calmly, encouraging me to open up further.

After a long conversation about my progress, my relationship with people around me, especially Milan and the incident with Mr. Marino, though I had not exclusively mentioned his name, the traits of relapse that are subtly starting to resurface, he asked me the one question I wished he had forgotten.

"Did you contact Sarah?", he asked calmly.

I stiffened a little and turned my gaze away.

"Did you identify the root of all your anxiety, Raelynn?", he asked calmly.

I looked back at him, shaking my head slightly, having no answer.

"The need for acceptance.", he said firmly.

I clenched my jaw at his words.

"You, just like any other person, wish to be accepted.", he continued.

"I don't need anyone's acceptance.", I defended, frowning slightly.

"You do. More than you think you do. The only reason you're hesitant to reach out to your friend and refuse to accept the genuine friendship that Milan has been trying to offer is the fear of rejection.", he stated.

His words hit me hard, my palms involuntarily fisting, my gaze flickering away from him and my heart racing ever so slightly.

"You are afraid of people abandoning you after learning the truth of your past. You are afraid Sarah would cast you away once she finds the reason for your disappearance 10 years ago. You are scared Milan would be disgusted once he knows what you've been through. You want to be in the state of dilemma and hope rather than face the reality, which according to you would be extremely harsh.", he concluded, looking me straight in the eye.

"Stop speaking as if you know me. Just because I've been your patient since the past 3-", my defenses rose up rapidly, triggered, but he cut me off.

"Don't call yourself a patient, Raelynn. I am someone willing to help those who need to be heard and you're someone who courageously took a step forward seeking help. It upsets me when people who seek my help call themselves 'patients'.", he said firmly, his eyes conveying his displeasure.