Chapter 38

250+ Votes!

RAELYNN

"How do you know Romero, Ren?", Theodore asked, genuinely confused.

I stiffened, feeling a sudden jolt at the question and I felt my heart skip a beat.

Aurelio too turned to me with a slight frown, waiting for an answer.

Not letting my stoic slip, I tried to think of a way to evade that question, but before I could come up with an excuse, Vincent intervened.

"I told her.", he stated in a taut tone.

Taken aback at his reply, I looked at him and he looked me straight in the eyes, his gaze firm.

A wave of relief surged through me, realizing he's covering up for me.

"You told Ren about Romero?", Aurelio probed, turning to Vincent, unconvinced.

Vincent just gave him a curt nod, indirectly implying not to prolong the matter further.

Not intending to be involved in their discussions, I excused myself from the room and walked out. Thankfully, none of them asked me to wait or questioned me further.

As I kept walking out of the west wing, several thoughts occupied my mind.

"Like his father f**ked your mother"

Anger spiked in me remembering those words, but alongside that, doubts and questions surfaced.

Vincent's mother died in childbirth.

Does that mean sometime before her death or maybe even before her last pregnancy, she was assaulted?

Could that be the reason why Liam killed Romero's uncles? Under Riccardo's order?

From Liam's words, I could conclude that none of the men from Romero's family except him are alive. That means his father is dead too.

That could be the very reason for his vengeance.

But, he has no right to blame anyone after what his father did. 

I scoffed internally. Like father, like son.

I have a hunch though that there's more to this past and conflict.

"Hey", a cheerful voice snapped me out of my drifting thoughts, grabbing my attention.

Realizing I'm standing in a familiar corridor, just a little distance away from the main staircase, I composed myself and looked at the overly energetic sixteen year old kid in front of me.

"Luciano.", I uttered, remembering him.

"Wow, you remember me.", he commented, surprised.

"Why wouldn't I?", I chuckled.

"We only met once.", he shrugged.

"You made quite an impression.", I stated honestly.

"That's called charisma, which my brother clearly lacks.", Luciano smirked, pointing at his brother who was just walking by.

His elder brother, Fiorenzo, could be around 20 or 21 years old, paused in his tracks and gave his brother an annoyed look.

"Is that so? But, I remember him more clearly than I remember you.", I said in a thoughtful tone.

Fiorenzo smirked at him and Luciano's brows furrowed, his face contorting into a sulk as he gave me a complaining look.

Stifling my laughter, I raised a brow, feigning cluelessness.