Chapter 31

230+ Votes!

-----------NOTE----------

Dearest readers, I'm back and thank you very much for the well wishes and patience!

Thank you very much.

-----NOTE ENDS------

RAELYNN

Once we were pulled out of our daze by Vincent's ringing phone, he and I moved away from each other awkwardly.

He excused himself to attend the call and I walked back in from the garden, slightly embarrassed.

The night passed by silently as both of us laid down on the terrace, lost in our own individual thoughts, feeling too conscious to speak to each other.

The next morning, I walked to the dining room early as usual and Theodore offered me a cup of coffee like he has been doing since the day I came here.

"Good morning, Ren.", Aurelio greeted, smiling at me.

"Good morning.", I greeted him politely.

Soon, the kids all joined us cheerfully, bringing a soft smile on my lips.

Vincent cleared this throat, grabbing everyone's attention.

I know where this is going, knowing well Ace is going to get chastised.

"How did you get that bruise on your jaw, Ace?", Vincent asked calmly, leaning back in his chair.

Ace stiffened and so did the others.

"Ash and I argued over something and Ash punched me i-", Ace started saying, slightly hesitantly and gradually came to a pause under his brother's deceptively calm gaze.

Tsk.

"Go on, I'm listening.", Vincent gave him a curt nod.

Ace hesitated and briefly looked at Ashton who pressed his lips tight, tense.

"I'm waiting, Ace.", Vincent probed calmly.

Ace hesitantly looked back at him.

I felt bad for him, but I know I shouldn't intervene. Even Aurelio and Theodore stayed quiet.

"I uh Ash was angry so we uh -", Ace fumbled with his words a little.

Vincent's gaze was stoic, calm and unreadable and it evidently intimidated and served as an underlying warning.

The room went utterly silent, none of them speaking up.

"When I get an answer from you, I'll believe it. I have faith that none of you would ever lie to me.", Vincent said calmly, looking at everyone who had their gaze cast down.

"I'm asking you again, Ace, how did you get that bruise on your jaw?", he asked in a neutral tone.

Ace spoke up after a momentary pause.

"Dad hit me.", he confessed.

"Does that imply that you lied to me when I asked you the same question a week ago?", Vincent questioned calmly.

Ace clenched his jaw, nodding.

"Why?", Vincent asked.

Ace stayed silent.

"Did you think I'm not capable enough to handle it or that I'm unreliable an-", Vincent was asking, but Ace cut him off.

"Vince", Ace intervened, his tone laced in guilt.