Chapter 19

160+ Votes!

~.~

A few minutes past midnight, the loud ringing of the cell phone startled the Baker couple awake from a deep slumber.

Switching on the bedside lamp, Ryan Baker flipped his phone open and took the call, frowning at the name flashing on the screen.

"Hello", he greeted in a groggy voice.

"Ryan, my husband's down with sudden weakness and we've brought him to the hospital. Could you please take Sarah with you? I don't want her to stay overnight in the hospital. Sorry for disturbing you at this hour. I didn't know who else to call.", an anxious female voice came from the other side.

"That's okay, we'll be there in a few minutes. How's your husband?", Ryan asked, wide awake at the news, standing up to put on a shirt in a hurry.

"He's being examined. The initial tests revealed there's nothing to worry, but he might be kept under observation for the night.", she replied.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine. We'll be right there.", Ryan assured, cutting the call.

"What's the matter?", Grace, his wife, asked, frowning, now wide awake at the worried voice of her husband.

"Sarah's dad is in the hospital. We need to go get her home.", Ryan answered, buttoning his shirt.

"Oh lord! Is he alright?", Grace asked, concerned.

"There's nothing to worry about, it seems. Let's go quickly.", he replied, looking at her.

Nodding, she got off the bed. Splashing some water on her face, she put on some casual clothes, ready to leave.

"What about Rae?", Ryan asked, standing by the door.

"Maybe we should take her too. Sarah might feel a little better.", Grace pondered.

Ryan walked upstairs to his daughter's room and informed her to change her clothes to leave.

After a few minutes, the three of them were sitting in the car, driving to the hospital.

A 13 year old Raelynn took a deep breath to calm down.

She just hoped her friend, Sarah, was alright.

After driving in silence for some time, they reached the hospital.

Rushing in, they met with Sarah's mother and uncle.

While Ryan and Grace were talking to the elders, Raelynn walked to a tense Sarah and sat beside her and Sarah immediately leaned her head over her shoulder.

"Your dad will be okay.", Raelynn said firmly, hooking her hand with her friend's.

"Yeah, the doctor said he's fine.", Sarah replied in a low tone.

Raelynn cuddled closer to her friend.

Sarah leaned into the familiar warmth, her racing heart relaxing gradually, grateful for Raelynn's presence.

After the elders were done talking, Ryan and Grace led Raelynn and Sarah to the car and started the drive back home.

All through the ride, Sarah leaned over Raelynn's shoulder, basking in her warmth, feeling assured lightly.

As they were passing through a deserted alley, Sarah felt bile rise in her throat at the extreme anxiety she had felt for a few hours now.

"Please stop the car. I feel like t-throwing up.", she sat up straight, breathing heavily.