Chapter 37

250+ Votes!

THIRD PERSON POV

"Romero", Raelynn uttered, looking up at the man in front of her.

It was just a guess, but the guess was indeed right.

Hernan Romero was taken aback at her taking his name while looking up at him.

How did she recognize him?

Has she seen him before?

Or did the Marinos tell her how he looks?

But even if she did find it from the Marinos, how can she possibly be calm enough to remember or even think rationally when a dagger is being pressed right at her abdomen?

These questions immediately surfaced in Hernan's mind, but he maintained his cool nevertheless.

When he did not respond for a moment, Raelynn's countenance turned stoic and her eyes ice cold, piercing right through his gaze.

Shock would be an understatement to what Hernan felt at that moment.

He wanted to see fear in her eyes, her body trembling in fright, sweating and pleading to let her live, but acutely opposed to that, all he could see in her eyes was defiance, contempt and a sharp coldness.

His eyes gleamed dangerously as anger slowly creeped up his veins.

He didn't like seeing even men working for him being remotely defiant, let alone women. Women, to him, are supposed to be submissive, obedient and docile.

But, the one in front of him looked anything but that and it bruised his ego.

"Being a woman, you sure are acting unnecessarily strong.", he commented condescendingly.

"Being a spineless scum, you sure are living unnecessarily long.", she retorted, her tone even more condescending and contemptuous than his.

Hernan's jaw clenched at her words. In that moment, he understood one thing, he absolutely loathes Raelynn Baker.

And he would make sure to force her into submission and fu*k the attitude out of her.

But it was not the right time yet.

Much to his shock, she suddenly stepped aside, dodging the dagger and raised her hand in an attempt to shove the thin end of a hanger right through the base of his throat, but his instincts acted quick and he immediately evaded it and held her hand midair.

Before he could think, she swung a slick label card of the clothes close to his eyes, but he craned his neck back and it sliced just an inch under his right eye, drawing out a tiny scar of blood.

Rage took him over and he was going to stab her, but they were interrupted when a commotion broke out in the mall.

That's when he realized that the back-up plan was set in motion.

If at all Vincent's men recognize and approach him, to make sure not to be seen, he had planned to station one of his men on the last floor and an anonymous thug from the streets alongside him. When the time comes, his man would shove the thug off the floor to draw everyone's attention and Hernan would be able to slip away through the crowd.

When Hernan looked behind Raelynn, he realized Vincent's men were already standing protectively around the Marino girls and the others were quickly approaching Raelynn.

Despite her efforts, Hernan gave a strong blow to her stomach and backed away into the crowd that gathered in shock to see the man who jumped down from the top floor in a mall. Taking advantage of the commotion, he slipped out of their sight.