ᴏɴᴇ- ʜɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ʀᴇᴘᴇᴀᴛs

༺☙༻'The history book on the shelfIs always repeating itself'⁻ᵃᵇᵇᵃ; ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˡᵒᵒ

༺☙༻
'The history book
on the shelf
Is always
repeating itself'
ᵃᵇᵇᵃ; ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˡᵒᵒ

༺☙༻'The history book on the shelfIs always repeating itself'⁻ᵃᵇᵇᵃ; ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˡᵒᵒ

RIVER ODAIR knew what the day held. It was only the beginning of the 74th Hunger Games and she was spending as much time as she could in the beautiful blue waters of her home.

District 4 wasn't much but it had been where she was born and raised in the currents that would always guide her no matter where she was.

She sat at the edge of the sailboat, staring out at sea, wondering how this years reaping would turn.

Would there be a volunteer? Would someone young be picked? And what scared her most of all, would she be reaped?

     When her brother was reaped when he was fourteen and she was seven, it terrified her.

   After losing their parents, she couldn't lose Finnick too. He was the only good thing her life other than Mags, a sweet woman who took care of the two after the deaths of their parents. After watching him survive the atrocities of the Games, she swore she'd never leave his side again.

    When he was taken to the Capitol, both siblings thought he was going to celebrate his win. They were far from the truth.

   River spent years awaiting his return, sitting in silence everyday while Mags took care of her. She would go to the beach with Annie Cresta and the two would just comfort each other, willing Finnick to come home.

    When he finally did, the siblings spent every waking moment together. River gave him plenty of time with Annie but the woman understood she needed her brother more than anyone.

   "Finn?" River spoke up over the waves that lapped against the boat. "Hm?" He hummed back, putting up the sail so they could get back in time for the reaping.

"If I get reaped today, do you think I'd win the Games?" She knew she was asking beyond what they could imagine but she needed an answer.

    Finnick hurried to tie the ropes before going over to her and pulling her up. "I'm betting on it." She smiled at his words as he ruffled her hair.