Ultraviolence

My feet glided along the cold tiles, literally, taking in the cold air of the manor in search of Theo. It wasn't long before I found similar wet foot prints just a few feet in front of me. I swiftly followed them before they dried before my eyes. In fact, I was so concentrated on the wet footprints I abruptly smacked my head against a stiff oak door.

Bloody door.

The throbbing sensation was easily soothed as I rubbed my palm against the red spot that now stuck out like a sore thumb on my forehead. Luckily this wasn't enough to disrupt the conversation that was taking place behind the door. Cautiously, I planted my ear against the door, obviously I wasn't supposed to be listening but if it meant that Theo had to frantically leave the group, it was important, plus I'm nosey.

"He's ready, I promise you he will-"

"He is not! He is merely a weak boy."

A quiet voice hissed. It felt eerily familiar, sending a cool blast up my spine. It sounded like Mr. Nott was having a conversation with someone, I'm not sure who, it sounded like a woman, not one I was familiar with.

"Why would my father call this meeting especially during this time of day with so many people around if I was not ready."

My blood went cold. The color in my face seemingly drained at Theo's voice. He sounded so determined and full of evil.

"He has a point Bella."

Narcissa's voice spoke.

Why were they all here? They couldn't possibly be discussing-

A hush fell amongst the group, forcing me to slowly back away from the door. I did not want to be caught eavesdropping in fear of what might be the outcome. Even if it wasn't a deatheater recruitment meeting, listening to a private conversation amongst people, who are already not too fond of me, was enough to make me leave.

Carefully I slipped back outside, scurrying towards the group. It seemed that the sun had tired everyone out, making it the least suspicious if I were to be caught by Theo or anyone in the room. I was simply sunbathing with the rest of the friends.

I tried to steady my rigid breathing from running across the lawn towards the lake. It was true that I was out of shape, yet half the reason my breathing was so sporadic was due to the conversation I overheard. With my chest slowly but surely slowing the rapid up and down movements, a shadow cast over the sun, prompting me to open my eyes. Only to find it was Mattheo's big head hovering above me.

"Mattheo, you are blocking the sun."

Simply stating.

"Well I wouldn't be if your breathing hadn't woke me up."

He smirked, insinuating I was off doing something I wasn't supposed to be.

"It's not my fault the closest bathroom in this manor is halfway across the grounds, sorry I wanted to catch as much sun as possible."

Mattheo chuckled, reverting back to his original position beside me.

"You know,"

He spoke, making me turn my head to face him.

"you could have always went in the lake."

My mouth opened in disgust, smacking his arm in the process. Mattheo laughed, covering his body from my pummels.

"That is disgusting Mattheo, I'm not you."

"Oh but you wish to be."

Rolling my eyes as I propped myself up on my elbows ready to retort when a whistle interrupted me.