Chapter 19

Hunter and Selena drove through the familiar Adams driveway - a long and winding private road that led to the family's ancestral home. Selena had been impressed the first time she came here. Tonight, there were no other people in the lawn, no loud music, and no chatter and laughter from other guests. Selena saw how truly breathtaking the house was as she watched it glow from a distance. Even at night, one can only marvel at the intricate design of the Victorian mansion. To Selena, it actually looked like a small castle than a mansion.

Hunter helped Selena out of the car after he parked the car. The Chief, Edmund Adams, was waiting for them by the entrance. The man had the unmistakable facial features that his three sons have. Strong jawline, straight and masculine nose, piercing blue eyes, thick eyelashes, and dark brows. The Chief's hair though has been almost grey, betraying his old age. Selena can see where Hunter got his looks. Selena wondered what Hunter's mother looked like.

Hunter held Selena's hand as they greeted the Adams patriarch who is already smiling at Selena.

"Selena! The woman who finally tamed my youngest, eh! Come here, young lady." The Chief beamed as he embraced Selena. The wide grin on his face reminded Selena of Cody. They both have that aura of mischief in them. His eyes, though, is very similar to Hunter's.

"Good evening, Chief." Selena greeted Edmund Adams when he finally released her. She felt nervous but somehow the older man made her feel at ease. He had the same reassuring presence that Hunter had - one that made you feel at ease just knowing they are around.

"Come on in, you two. You're just in time for dinner." The older Adams led them to the dining area, passing by the mansion's ballroom.

From the main entrance, the three walked through the great hall of the ground floor. The ceiling is so high that it reminded Selena of the cathedral she once went to with Molly's mom. On the ceiling hung the largest and most exquisite chandelier Selena had ever seen. Its light cast an elegant glow in the entire ballroom. Two large staircases on each side of the hall led to a balcony that doubled as a hallway. It made Selena feel like she has just been transported to a castle in one of the fairy tale books her mother read to her when she was young. Selena's parents' home had been huge, too, but the Adams mansion is something else altogether. She wondered how many balls had been held in this place from the time this mansion was built.

"Hey, Selena!" A familiar voice called. Cody was on one of the balcony, walking towards the stairs. "Glad you came early. I'm starving."

"You're always starving." Selena said with a giggle.

"Ah, don't tease me, soon-to-be little sister. Virile men like myself needs a constant source of energy, you know." Cody smiled.

Just then, one of the doors on the side of the ballroom opened, and in came Sam. Lizzy had pointed him out to Selena during the Chief's birthday. Sam is the eldest son of Edmund Adams. Just like Hunter, Sam, too, was tall and had striking blue eyes. If Cody is the naughty and talkative Adams, Sam is the slightly reserved and quieter one. While Hunter is quite on the brusque and ragged side, Sam is a bit more refined and gentlemanly, but not in a feminine way. He has the familiar confident stance of Cody and Hunter as well.

"Miss Rey, I believe we have not been properly introduced." Sam told Selena. His tone is serious but friendly. Looking at him closely now, she can definitely see Sam's resemblance to Hunter and Cody. It's uncanny how the three brothers, who are different in personalities, could look so similar. Edmund Adams' blood truly runs deep in his sons.

"Selena, this is my brother, Samuel. Sam, this is Selena, my fiancee." Hunter introduced the two.

"Hi Sam, glad to meet you." Selena warmly said as she extended her hand for a handshake.