Chapter 25

One more week and Selena will be Hunter's wife. It seemed surreal to Selena, marriage was the farthest thing from her mind went she first decided to take a chance and boarded the train to Aspen. Selena smiled to herself, fate has a weird way of weaving things, events, and people together. The way their lives had been interconnected was amazing, to say the least.

As Selena drove on the forest road towards Mermaid Lake to meet Lizzy, she recalled the events that led her to Aspen. She had been frustrated, she still haven't heard from the companies she applied to. Food has always been Selena's escape, so she decided to go to her favorite deli to order her favorite ham and turkey sandwich with extra cheese. Molly has an interview that day, so Selena went to the deli alone. As she ate her sandwich, contemplating about her next move, she saw the rack of newspapers and magazines nearby. She wasn't really in the mood to read, but what the heck, she was alone anyway, so she grabbed a paper and brought it back to her table. She was just skimming through the pages as she chew her food, when something caught her eye, and there it was in the classified ads - a company needing an accountant! Selena's heart beat wildly in excitement. After finishing her sandwich, she paid for the paper and went back to her apartment.

Sitting on her bed, Selena re-read the ad, and her heart sank. The company was located in Aspen, a farming district, very far from where she was currently staying, but something in her gut nagged at her. On impulse, she took the email address of the company and sent her cover letter and resume. She really didn't think much about it, she had already set her sights on some of the big firms in the city, but the company's secretary - Mrs. Boon - called, asking if she'd like an interview. She had doubts then but she badly needed the money, so she packed her bags and went to a place she'd never been to, and the rest, they say, is history.

Selena marvelled at the events and coincidences that brought her to Aspen and into Hunter's life. If was accepted by some other company in the city, she wouldn't have needed to go to the deli that day, she wouldn't have seen the ad, and she wouldn't have met Hunter. Her life must have been totally different. Now, she can't imagine herself living without Hunter. Selena smiled. She thought of the romance novels she read when she was young, they often mentioned something about fate and destiny. This must be her fate, her destiny. She and Hunter were fated for each other. In a week's time, they will be husband and wife. And soon, they will be mum and dad to the angel growing inside her.

Selena glanced at her abdomen, she lovingly pat her still flat tummy. The moment she found out she was pregnant, she knew she already loved their baby. When she looked back at the road, her heart stopped, a white car was overtaking her then it suddenly cut in and stopped in the middle of the road. She can't avoid it anymore so she stepped on the brake with so much force that her red pickup screeched to a halt. She nearly banged her head on the steering wheel. When she regained her composure, she saw that her truck was less than two meters behind the white car. She quickly unfastened her seatbelt and opened her door. She needed to see what happened and she had to give the white car's driver a piece of her mind. What the driver did was absolutely dangerous.

As Selena furiously stepped out of her truck, she saw the two front doors opened and two men came out. It was Hans and his friend. Hans smiled at Selena, but it wasn't a friendly smile, he looked wicked. Hans' friend was expressionless, but to Selena, he looked cold and menacing. He was like a coiled snake that looked calm but ready to strike in any minute. Her mind was commanding Selena to flee and get back to the car, but her feet wouldn't move. Her heart was beating wildly. Fear was taking over her body. Her instinct was telling her she was on a dangerous situation.

"Hey there, gorgeous. Hunter letting you wander off alone?" Hans said as he sauntered towards her, like a predator slowly stalking its prey. He grinned at her.