chapter 4

He Cong was shocked.

“Why is he here?? How does he know you are with me?!”

Xia Xun was also surprised. He obviously sneaked out but Qi Yan managed to find out that he was gone so quickly? Could he guess right away that he was in He Cong’s house?

He asked He Cong:

“Lord Qi wouldn’t have any official business to discuss with you, would he? Otherwise – I didn’t tell him where I was going.”

He Cong’s face was ugly.

“No, since you faked your death, he would not even look at me when he met me in public, let alone come to my house. For so many years, he would not say a word to me unless it was absolutely necessary. He must have come for you.”

He put on his official hat:

“I’m going to meet him now! If you want to run, run quickly! I’ll stop him! I don’t believe he will dare to break into the residence of a court official!”

He rushed out aggressively. Xia Xun followed him, saying hurriedly:

“I can’t go, don’t go either! You have a wife and children, and to be a court official, you can’t offend him!”

He Cong didn’t look back:

“What ‘can’t offend’, I’ve offended him many times! What are you afraid of? Even if you can’t leave, I’ll go out and back you up! Don’t let him think no one can protect you!”

He pointed at Xia Xun to his servants.

“Stop him for me! Don’t let him go out of the house!”

Qi Yan didn’t get out of the carriage and didn’t even look out. Only Qi Hui, his personal guard, stood beside the carriage with his back straight.

Furious, He Cong pointed at the carriage and  scolded angrily:

“Qi Yan! Have you forgotten all the etiquette inherited from our ancestors? If you come to visit me, come down and salute me respectfully! Who are you putting up this show for?”

There was no sound.

Qi Hui saluted to him, but Qi Yan didn’t reply at all.

He Cong became even more furious and punched the carriage door.

The wooden door was rattling as he banged on it, and if he kept this up, it was going to break.

His servants strictly obeyed He Cong’s order and stood in front of Xia Xun.

Xia Xun said:

“Let me go, or your lord is going to be in trouble.”

The servants looked back and forth a few times, hesitated for a while and finally gave way.

Xia Xun calmly walked out of the house and slowly went to the carriage.

He Cong was so angry that he scolded him, too:

“Who told you to come out?! Good for nothing!! ”

Xia Xun smiled helplessly.

The carriage door opened slightly, and Qi Yan stretched out his hand from the inside with his palm upward, meaning to help Xia Xun get into the carriage.

Xia Xun avoided his hand and climbed into the carriage.

The carriage immediately moved forward, and the voice of He Cong who continued berating them outside couldn’t be heard anymore.

Ever since he got into the carriage, Qi Yan’s gaze never left him, watching his every expression intently.

Xia Xun didn’t want to be stared at, so he sat as far away as possible and turned his face away.