chapter 43

At first, Qi Yan did not have the strength to speak. When Qi Hui fed him medicine, he dipped his finger in the and in the palm of his hand wrote a crooked “Xia” character.

Qi Hui did not dare to say that Xia Xun had been locked up by Chu Anyu, so he lied to Qi Yan, saying: “Young Master Xia is suffering from a cold. He is in the next room in bed, recuperating. Your body is too weak, this subordinate worries that the young master will pass the disease to you. When you are better, this subordinate will let the young master come to see you.”

Qi Yan blinked, drank the medicine, and fell back into a drowsy sleep.

He woke up several times during that period, and each time he woke up, the first thing he did was to look for Xia Xun.

Each time, Qi Hui said that Xia Xun was sick and hadn’t recovered from the cold, so he couldn’t come over for a while.

Qi Yan did not doubt his words.

Qi Hui has been at his bedside for days, taking care of him without even having time to change his clothes. A few days later, late at night, Qi Hui was leaning back in the chair next to the bed and dozing when he suddenly heard Qi Yan calling his name.

He hurriedly opened his eyes and saw that Qi Yan had woken up and was looking at him.

Qi Hui’s eyes filled with tears. He rushed to the bed, complaining in a choked voice:

“My lord! You are finally awake! Qi Hui was scared out of his mind. If you didn’t wake up, half of Qi Hui’s life would be lost!”

Qi Hui pulled his dry lips in a smile and chuckled gently: “…Don’t be ridiculous.”

He looked around the room and asked:

“Where’s Xia Xun…? His illness, how is it…”

Qi Hui was startled for a moment and immediately said:

“The young master has not yet recovered, as you know, his body is rather weak, and he got wet in the lake that day, so he is not well yet. When the doctor says he is well, this subordinate will bring him to you.”

Qi Yan’s expression gradually stiffened. He lifted his head and stared at Qi Hui’s face:

“…Are you hiding something from me? What exactly happened to Xia Xun…?”

Qi Hui hurriedly denied:

“How dare I? I didn’t lie to you! Quickly lie down, your injuries are not yet—”

As soon as Qi Yan heard this, he knew that Qi Hui was lying.

Every time he lied, as soon as he was questioned by Qi Yan, he would keep denying it and desperately trying to emphasise that he was telling the truth.

Qi Yan could not lie down anymore and propped himself up on the bed to sit up.

“Tell me quickly… What’s wrong with Xia Xun?”

In the past, as long as he frowned at him, Qi Hui would tell the truth, but this time, he still bit the bullet and said that Xia Xun was recuperating next door.

“My lord! This subordinate doesn’t dare to lie to you! The young master is right next door! You mustn’t get up, go to sleep quickly! Otherwise the wounds will open up again!”

Qi Yan’s body shook; he suddenly stopped trying to get up.

Qi Hui immediately stepped forward to hold his shoulders.

“Yes, yes, yes! Hurry up and lie down!”

He did not notice how pale Qi Yan’s face was.

Qi Yan looked at Qi Hui intently and asked in disbelief: