chapter 14

He Cong was furious.

“What are you looking at?! Kick him out!”

The servant was at a loss.

“My lord, you… you’d better go and have a look! Lord Qi is different from usual, he’s so fierce, as if he’s going to start a battle! Everyone is scared!”

He Cong couldn’t contain his anger.

“Ridiculous! My He family members have been officials for generations, how dare he make a scene!”

He drew the sword from the wall and rushed to the gates of the mansion in anger, cursing even before he could see the situation clearly:

“Qi Yan! What are you crazy about?! ”

This was not the first time Qi Yan had troubled him.

More than that, it was not the first time that Qi Yan had come to pick up Xia Xun in front of him.

A long time ago, He Cong knew that Xia Xun had someone he liked, but he didn’t know that that man was Qi Yan.

He had never heard of the name Qi Yan and it was not until the downfall of the Xia family that he heard a few words about Qi Yan from his father.

After Xia Hongxi’s death, Qi Yan was quickly reappointed and given a high position at a young age.

Xia Xun was sincere to him, but was used by him and sent to jail.

He Cong was indignant about what happened to Xia Xun and wanted to try to save him, but his father threatened him with his own life and did not allow him to step forward.

For the safety of the He family, He Cong held back.

A few months later, news of Xia Xun’s death reached the capital. He Cong regretted nothing, had a big quarrel with his parents, and went to Lingnan.

After he returned to the capital from Douzhou, his mood gradually stabilised. He kept Xia Xun’s secret and lived his life like before.

However, whenever he saw Qi Yan, the anger in his heart could not be suppressed.

What made him even more angry was Qi Yan’s attitude.

He thought that Qi Yan would be moved when he learned of Xia Xun’s death, or show a trace of guilt at least.

Who knew that Qi Yan wouldn’t change at all. He went to work normally every day and completed his official duties with due diligence. His mood was stable, without any signs of mourning and regret for Xia Xun.

He forgot Xia Xun completely, as if he had never existed.

The only thing that had changed was his attitude towards the He family.

When Xia Xun was sent to Lingnan, He Cong’s father made a small mistake and fell into Qi Yan’s hands. Qi Yan dealt with the matter perfunctorily and let it go.

After Xia Xun’s death, he became more vigorous and effective in his actions, without showing any trace of mercy, especially for He Cong.

When He Cong returned to the capital, he was given an official position.

He had just taken office and he was still unskilled, and accidentally made a very small mistake.

Even if the emperor personally inquired, he probably would not punish He Cong.

Who knew that Qi Yan would seize on it and insist on convicting him.

He Cong’s father didn’t know what his son had done to offend Qi Yan, so he prepared a generous gift and asked He Cong to personally go to Qi Mansion to deliver it.