chapter 37

With tears in her eyes, Zhi Gui said to Xia Xun:

“I was sold by my parents when I was a child and moved to the capital to work as a maidservant, bouncing from one rich family to another, without a single day of freedom! Can you believe that, Young Master? I’ve been in the capital for over ten years and I don’t even know what the city looks like! I’ve never even been to the main street, the busiest in the capital, not even once!

“A few years ago, I was bought by Lord Qi, who was very generous and treated his servants well. But I couldn’t even leave the house, so what use was all the gold and silver that he rewarded me with?

“I cannot accept it! Just because I come from a poor background, do I have to lose my freedom for the rest of my life, to be a slave and a servant forever, and to die in this high and mighty house? I’m not willing to do that! Why do I have to?”

She was breathing hard with emotion.

This was probably the most disrespectful thing she had ever said in her life.

Xia Xun looked at her calmly: “…That Hu man promised you that he would take you away after the deed was done?”

Zhi Gui slowly shook her head.

“No….”

She told Xia Xun that the Hu man had only promised a heavy sum of money and nothing else.

Xia Xun asked again:

“So what is your plan? Try to take advantage of the chaos to leave Qi Yan’s side and then take the money and go far away? Don’t forget that your deed of sale is still in Qi Yan’s hands and he can get you back at any time. If he’s a little more petty, he might even file a complaint against your parents to the authorities and have them convicted.”

Zhi Gui closed her eyes, tears flowing down her cheeks:.

“…this slave can’t care about this anymore, this slave thinks it is the only chance to escape… I’ll take the money, hide in a town where no one knows me and live my life in anonymity from now on. It is still better than being a servant forever, it is better than being a slave until you die.”

Xia Xun said gently:

“The day Qi Yan was injured, everything was in chaos, why didn’t you take the opportunity to leave?”

Zhi Gui’s eyelashes trembled slightly.

“…this slave, when I learned that the lord and the young master were injured, I really couldn’t bear it… moreover, this place is already very close to Qingzhou, I miss my parents at home, really…”

Xia Xun thought about it and said:

“Wait until you get to Qingzhou, then you can leave. This jade belt hook is very valuable, pawn it and the money you get in exchange will be enough for you to live.”

Zhi Gui stood shocked and stunned.

“Young Master, you… don’t scold this slave, but why do you… still want to help me?”

Xia Xun snorted, answering the question, “It’s not that I emptied my pockets to help you. It wasn’t mine to begin with.”

Zhi Gui was unrelenting and asked persistently:

“Why should you help this slave?”

Xia Xun glanced at her.

“Look at you, I’ve deliberately changed the subject, aren’t you usually more tactful? Why are you still asking?”

She looked at him steadily, obviously not giving up until she got an answer.

Xia Xun could not resist her.